Old 07-07-2005, 07:28 PM

Default New Homeowner Needs Urgent Garden HELP!!

We moved in to a house about a month ago and after finally unpacking
our boxes, I have gotten around to tending the yard. The previous
owner did significant landscaping but did not leave me with any
instructions as to what was planted or how to care for it. I attempted
to use various sites to help me identify stuff, but it is a slow
process and some of the plants need urgent attention. So, I turn to
you, the members of rec.gardens to help me figure out what I have in my
beds. Some of the stuff looks like it isn't doing to well and I really
need help figuring out what it is and what I should do to save it. I
have uploaded the images (linked below). Each is about 1 MB in size
(if you can help but the size is too big, let me know). I live in
Northeast OH.
I will be checking this thread frequently if more pictures or
information is needed. If you can help identify or advise about any or
all flowers it will be appreciated.
Thank you so much!!!

1. A
href="http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8866/77050073vi.jpg"Budding
plant with interesting leaves/A
2. A
href="http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=77050086yr.jpg"Intersting
leafy plant - no sign of flowers yet/A
3. A
href="http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=77050091ym.jpg"Almost
looks like a cactus/A
4. A href="http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/453/77050103qm.jpg"Tall
purple flower/A
5. A
href="http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4295/77050110iy.jpg"Leafy
plant - no sign of flowers yet/A
6. A
href="http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1503/77050123fg.jpg"Grasslike
clump (cousin It). Needs some sort of scalp treatment as the top most
leaves are dried out./A
7. A
href="http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1108/77050138xo.jpg"Tiny
flowers in a pot/A
8. A
href="http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7325/77050148sj.jpg"Dying?
bush - only has a few branches with leaves. In full shade/A
9. A
href="http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6761/77050155wl.jpg"Wilting
flowers (not the stuff behind them). In full shade/A
10. A
href="http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3779/77050163af.jpg"Wilting
flower growing out of a Hosta? In full shade/A
11. A
href="http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/454/77050176qw.jpg"Were these
planted or are they tree sprouts? In full shade/A
12. A
href="http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8604/77050180tt.jpg"Dying?
bush - about half the branches have leaves (some with white flowers -
on the left) but the other half is just bare branches sticking upright.
In full shade/A
13. A
href="http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/65/77050198cl.jpg"Dying? bush
surrounded by weeds?/A
14. A
href="http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2148/77050207eo.jpg"Flowering
plant with white edged leaves/A
15. A
href="http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1177/77050212ye.jpg"Some sort
of ivy/myrtle in front of a bright green bush/A
16. A
href="http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4467/77050220um.jpg"Are these
giant (2-3' tall) weeds?/A
17. A
href="http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9919/77050230iw.jpg"Green
small leaves poking through a patch of reeds; do I remove the
reeds?/A
18. A
href="http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5952/77050245nr.jpg"BONUS -
Fast growing non flowering plant in the water garden./A
19. A
href="http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7961/77050253bk.jpg"Yellow
flowers/A
20. A
href="http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2439/77050260va.jpg"Tall
white flowers (on the right) in a patch of something else which has yet
to flower./A
21. A
href="http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7707/77050271zk.jpg"Some type
of honeysuckle - it is only flowering in a few places - the rest
appears a dry twisted mess - how do I prune it?/A
22. A
href="http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9626/77050285tp.jpg"White
flowering plant/A
23. A
href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6881/77050295hj.jpg"This is a
plant with interesting leaves and light green flowers that has a vine
growing through it. The vine has white flowers/A
A href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2240/77050304la.jpg"Here
is a closeup of the vine/ADoes the vine belong here?
24. A href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9407/77050318vc.jpg"A
grassy plant with very large roundish buds/A
25. A
href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6564/77050329lx.jpg"Cactus
leafed plant with yellow flowers/AA
href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5779/77050351ui.jpg"In a few
places the plant has flattened around the middle; is that normal?/A
26. A href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/28/77050339xg.jpg"A
type of Hosta? with white flowers/A
27. A
href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3278/77050344en.jpg"Unidentified
single flower/A
28. A
href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3782/77050377yo.jpg"This bush
(on the right) has a lot of branches exposed (but they all have a tuft
of leaves on the end)/A
29. A
href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5979/77050382bx.jpg"Leafy
plant with white flower shoot (on the right)/A
30. A
href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/650/77050393xr.jpg"Craggly
edged leaves with long soft-looking flowers/A
31. A href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3200/77050403ik.jpg"Is
this a weed?/A
32. A href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/209/77050414fy.jpg"A
vine that is growing up the wall/A
33. A href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3185/77050426mk.jpg"An
almost dead? bush/A
34. A href="http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6438/77050439om.jpg"A
dead? tree/A
35. A
href="http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/5331/77050443ns.jpg"White
flowering plant/A

Old 07-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I looked at a number of the files. They are mostly common shrubs and
perennials. The links are not posted right, however. You didn't leave a
break between the link and your commentary and therefore, the entire text is
shown as a link. In order to view the pictures, I had to copy the link and
past it into my browser. That's too much work for over thirty pictures. You
should repost the links and/or post the pictures at
alt.binaries.gardens.pictures.

I didn't see anything in the first 15 that needed urgent attention. The
plants are sturdy perennials. Some have already bloomed and are in a
natural decline, like the columbine. I wouldn't do anything short of
watering until you know more. Sometimes benign neglect is the best policy.
I'm in SW Ohio and my sister is in NE Ohio (Mentor). If you need any
advice, you can email me.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:00 PM

Vox - thanks for the reply. I'm not sure about the link issue you are
having; in my browser, I can click the links and see the image - no
cutting and pasting required.
As for the plants you did look at, please at least ID the ones you
recognized. Aside from IDs, I have questions about the condition
(included in the original post) for #s: 6, 8, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 21,
23, 25, 31, 33 and 34.
thanks for your help!!

Old 07-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Toni

wrote in message
oups.com...
Vox - thanks for the reply. I'm not sure about the link issue you are
having; in my browser, I can click the links and see the image - no
cutting and pasting required.

FWIW I couldn't see them without finagling the links either.

--
Toni
South Florida USA