Old 07-07-2005, 09:40 PM

Default New Homeowner Needs Urgent Garden HELP!!

We moved in to a house about a month ago and after finally unpacking
our boxes, I have gotten around to tending the yard. The previous
owner did significant landscaping but did not leave me with any
instructions as to what was planted or how to care for it. I attempted
to use various sites to help me identify stuff, but it is a slow
process and some of the plants need urgent attention. So, I turn to
you, the members of rec.gardens to help me figure out what I have in my
beds. Some of the stuff looks like it isn't doing to well and I really
need help figuring out what it is and what I should do to save it. I
have uploaded the images (linked below). Each is about 1 MB in size
(if you can help but the size is too big, let me know). I live in
Northeast OH.
I will be checking this thread frequently if more pictures or
information is needed. If you can help identify or advise about any or
all flowers it will be appreciated.
Thank you so much!!!

1. http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8866/77050073vi.jpg
Budding plant with interesting leaves

2. http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=77050086yr.jpg
Intersting leafy plant - no sign of flowers yet

3. http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=77050091ym.jpg
Almost looks like a cactus

4. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/453/77050103qm.jpg
Tall purple flower

5. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4295/77050110iy.jpg
Leafy plant - no sign of flowers yet

6. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1503/77050123fg.jpg
Grasslike clump (cousin It). Needs some sort of scalp treatment as the
top most leaves are dried out.

7. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1108/77050138xo.jpg
Tiny flowers in a pot

8. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7325/77050148sj.jpg
Dying? bush - only has a few branches with leaves. In full shade

9. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6761/77050155wl.jpg
Wilting flowers (not the stuff behind them). In full shade

10. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3779/77050163af.jpg
Wilting flower growing out of a Hosta? In full shade

11. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/454/77050176qw.jpg
Were these planted or are they tree sprouts? In full shade

12. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8604/77050180tt.jpg
Dying? bush - about half the branches have leaves (some with white
flowers - on the left) but the other half is just bare branches
sticking upright. In full shade

13. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/65/77050198cl.jpg
Dying? bush surrounded by weeds?

14. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2148/77050207eo.jpg
Flowering plant with white edged leaves

15. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1177/77050212ye.jpg
Some sort of ivy/myrtle in front of a bright green bush

16. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4467/77050220um.jpg
Are these giant (2-3' tall) weeds?

17. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9919/77050230iw.jpg
Green small leaves poking through a patch of reeds; do I remove the
reeds?

18. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5952/77050245nr.jpg
BONUS - Fast growing non flowering plant in the water garden.

19. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7961/77050253bk.jpg
Yellow flowers

20. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2439/77050260va.jpg
Tall white flowers (on the right) in a patch of something else which
has yet to flower.

21. http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7707/77050271zk.jpg
Some type of honeysuckle - it is only flowering in a few places - the
rest appears a dry twisted mess - how do I prune it?

22. http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9626/77050285tp.jpg
White flowering plant

23. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6881/77050295hj.jpg
This is a plant with interesting leaves and light green flowers that
has a vine growing through it. The vine has white flowers
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2240/77050304la.jpg Here is a
closeup of the vine Does the vine belong here?

24. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9407/77050318vc.jpg
A grassy plant with very large roundish buds

25. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6564/77050329lx.jpg
Cactus leafed plant with yellow flowers
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5779/77050351ui.jpg
In a few places the plant has flattened around the middle; is that
normal?

26. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/28/77050339xg.jpg
A type of Hosta? with white flowers

27. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3278/77050344en.jpg
Unidentified single flower

28. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3782/77050377yo.jpg
This bush (on the right) has a lot of branches exposed (but they all
have a tuft of leaves on the end)

29. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5979/77050382bx.jpg
Leafy plant with white flower shoot (on the right)

30. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/650/77050393xr.jpg
Craggly edged leaves with long soft-looking flowers

31. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3200/77050403ik.jpg
Is this a weed?

32. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/209/77050414fy.jpg
A vine that is growing up the wall

33. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3185/77050426mk.jpg
An almost dead? bush

34. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6438/77050439om.jpg
A dead? tree

35. http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/5331/77050443ns.jpg
White flowering plant

Old 07-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Jennifer

35. http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/5331/77050443ns.jpg
White flowering plant

Yup, those look right to me now Thanks for fixing.

--
Jennifer

Old 07-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Columbine

2. http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=77050086yr.jpg
Intersting leafy plant - no sign of flowers yet

Looks like a, perhaps a "buttercup" which is more like a weed. It probably
already bloomed.

3. http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=77050091ym.jpg
Almost looks like a cactus

Sedum - probaby "autum joy" (yes, I know it has been reclassified, but
that's how it is still being sold)

4. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/453/77050103qm.jpg
Tall purple flower

Liatris

5. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4295/77050110iy.jpg
Leafy plant - no sign of flowers yet

Look liks a memeber of the mint family, maybe monarda.

6. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1503/77050123fg.jpg
Grasslike clump (cousin It). Needs some sort of scalp treatment as the
top most leaves are dried out.

an ornamental grass - maybe a fescue

7. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1108/77050138xo.jpg
Tiny flowers in a pot

Don't know

8. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7325/77050148sj.jpg
Dying? bush - only has a few branches with leaves. In full shade

Azalea

9. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6761/77050155wl.jpg
Wilting flowers (not the stuff behind them). In full shade

Don't know

10. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3779/77050163af.jpg
Wilting flower growing out of a Hosta? In full shade

Pulmonaria

11. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/454/77050176qw.jpg
Were these planted or are they tree sprouts? In full shade

Maybe rose of Sharon seedlings

12. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8604/77050180tt.jpg
Dying? bush - about half the branches have leaves (some with white
flowers - on the left) but the other half is just bare branches
sticking upright. In full shade

Rhodedendron. Not dying, but not thriving. Check the soil pH

13. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/65/77050198cl.jpg
Dying? bush surrounded by weeds?

Can't tell. It isn't of much ornimental value.

14. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2148/77050207eo.jpg
Flowering plant with white edged leaves

Not sure. Maybe a hydrangea, but probably not.

15. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1177/77050212ye.jpg
Some sort of ivy/myrtle in front of a bright green bush

Perenial geranium. Probably already bloomed. May have sporatic blooms over
the summer.

16. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4467/77050220um.jpg
Are these giant (2-3' tall) weeds?

Probably an echonops.

17. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9919/77050230iw.jpg
Green small leaves poking through a patch of reeds; do I remove the
reeds?

Looks like an azalea in the foreground, ornamental grass in the middle, and
a spruce in the background. It just needs a little rearranging. The azalea
probably isn't worth keeping.

18. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5952/77050245nr.jpg
BONUS - Fast growing non flowering plant in the water garden.

Don't know.

19. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7961/77050253bk.jpg
Yellow flowers

Coreopsis. probably "moonbeam'

20. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2439/77050260va.jpg
Tall white flowers (on the right) in a patch of something else which
has yet to flower.

It looks like a clump of cat mint (nepeta)

21. http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7707/77050271zk.jpg
Some type of honeysuckle - it is only flowering in a few places - the
rest appears a dry twisted mess - how do I prune it?

You can always prune away dead or diseased plant material any time. There
is no special consideration.

22. http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9626/77050285tp.jpg
White flowering plant

Can't tell from the picture. Is the foliage fragrent? Are the stems
square?

23. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6881/77050295hj.jpg
This is a plant with interesting leaves and light green flowers that
has a vine growing through it.

Alchemilla mollis. It will seed itself freely if left alone. I cut my back
this week to clean it up. I don't need more.

The vine has white flowers
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2240/77050304la.jpg Here is a
closeup of the vine Does the vine belong here?

The vine is a morning glory. Unfortunatley, it is most likley the nasty
weed known as bind weed. It tangles itself in everything and is very
difficult to get rid of as the smallest piece of root will generate a new
plant.

24. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9407/77050318vc.jpg
A grassy plant with very large roundish buds

The plant is a daylily and what you see are seed pods, not buds. The plant
has already bloomed and unless it is a reblooming variety, it is done for
the year. Remove the pods.

25. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6564/77050329lx.jpg
Cactus leafed plant with yellow flowers
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5779/77050351ui.jpg
In a few places the plant has flattened around the middle; is that
normal?

Sedum. What you see is normal

26. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/28/77050339xg.jpg
A type of Hosta? with white flowers

Hosta. Can't tell which one.

27. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3278/77050344en.jpg
Unidentified single flower

Don't know

28. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3782/77050377yo.jpg
This bush (on the right) has a lot of branches exposed (but they all
have a tuft of leaves on the end)

Rhododendron.

29. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5979/77050382bx.jpg
Leafy plant with white flower shoot (on the right)

Don't know, but I think this was in an earlier picuture also.

30. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/650/77050393xr.jpg
Craggly edged leaves with long soft-looking flowers

Looks like a member of the dock family. Possibly a weed.

31. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3200/77050403ik.jpg
Is this a weed?

Yes

32. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/209/77050414fy.jpg
A vine that is growing up the wall

Looks like a weed

33. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3185/77050426mk.jpg
An almost dead? bush

Looks like another rhodedendron on the decline. I would take it out.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Travis

Vox Humana wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Looks like Wisteria to me.

35. http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/5331/77050443ns.jpg
White flowering plant

Can't tell from the picture.

Clover a weed.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 08-07-2005, 12:28 AM

Thanks so much for your help!! Here's a new list of what still needs
ID/Questions answered:

2. http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=77050086yr.jpg
Intersting leafy plant - no sign of flowers yet - maybe a buttercup

5. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4295/77050110iy.jpg
Leafy plant - no sign of flowers yet - maybe monarda

6. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1503/77050123fg.jpg
Grasslike clump (cousin It). Appears to need some sort of scalp
treatment as the top most leaves are dried out.

7. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1108/77050138xo.jpg
Tiny flowers in a pot

8. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7325/77050148sj.jpg
Is this Azalea dying? - only has a few branches with leaves. In full
shade

9. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6761/77050155wl.jpg
Wilting flowers (not the stuff behind them). In full shade

11. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/454/77050176qw.jpg
Were these planted or are they tree sprouts? In full shade - Rose of
Sharon?

13. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/65/77050198cl.jpg
Dying? bush surrounded by weeds?

14. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2148/77050207eo.jpg
Flowering plant with white edged leaves

15. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1177/77050212ye.jpg
Perrenial Gyranium in front of an unknown bright green bush

16. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4467/77050220um.jpg
Are these giant (2-3' tall) weeds? Echonops?

Old 08-07-2005, 05:38 AM
Dana Schultz

#32 is definitely wisteria.

--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid
"Travis" wrote in message
Vox Humana wrote:
ups.com...

Old 08-07-2005, 05:57 AM
Dana Schultz

My opinions would be:
5. the leaves are not elongated enough to be monarda

7. forget-me-nots I would think. What color are the flowers? Pink or purple.

11. yes

26. Hosta is St Francis or Francis something.

29. flox?

30. weed

--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid
oups.com...

Old 08-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Pat Kiewicz

said:

Thanks so much for your help!! Here's a new list of what still needs
ID/Questions answered:

Comments on a few

2.
http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=77050086yr.jpg
Intersting leafy plant - no sign of flowers yet - maybe a buttercup

I think that is possibly some sort of "Chrysanthemum" (there's
been a lot of renaming going on). Does the bruised foliage have
a strong smell?

6. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1503/77050123fg.jpg
Grasslike clump (cousin It). Appears to need some sort of scalp
treatment as the top most leaves are dried out.

Yes, this should have been sheared back in the early spring

7. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1108/77050138xo.jpg
Tiny flowers in a pot

I think these are weeds...

9. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6761/77050155wl.jpg
Wilting flowers (not the stuff behind them). In full shade

A species of false Solomon's seal -- native wildflower. Should ripen
berries, the color of which would help determine the actual species.

11. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/454/77050176qw.jpg
Were these planted or are they tree sprouts? In full shade - Rose of
Sharon?

Viburnum trilobum, maybe? (Much more likely to have been planted
in a shady area than rose of Sharon.)

26. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/28/77050339xg.jpg
A type of Hosta? with white flowers

Yes, a Hosta. Looks like Halcyon to me (common smaller blue-leaved
variety).

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 08-07-2005, 12:57 PM

Hi Pat - thanks for the help!!! A few follow up questions:
2. http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=77050086yr.jpg
Intersting leafy plant - no sign of flowers yet. The brusied foliage
does have a small to it.

6. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1503/77050123fg.jpg
Grasslike clump (cousin It). Appears to need some sort of scalp
treatment as the top most leaves are dried out.
how would I prune it back as you suggested? The grass is very stiff
and seems to be coming from a very thick stump. Also, do you know
what type of fescue this is?

11. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/454/77050176qw.jpg
Do you think these were planted/belong here or should I take them out?

thanks for your time!!

Old 09-07-2005, 04:08 AM
axemanchris

#11 Looks like Rose of Sharon seedlings to me. I just transplanted a large
number of them from my grandmother's house to mine, so I'm pretty familiar
with them. If they're not in a spot you like, you can move some of them.
They get such beautiful flowers!

Jacqui

Old 09-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Pat Kiewicz

said:

Hi Pat - thanks for the help!!! A few follow up questions:
2.
http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=77050086yr.jpg
Intersting leafy plant - no sign of flowers yet. The brusied foliage
does have a small to it.

Did you mean smell? Then I think it even more likely that it is
some type of 'Chrysanthemum.'

6. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1503/77050123fg.jpg
Grasslike clump (cousin It). Appears to need some sort of scalp
treatment as the top most leaves are dried out.
how would I prune it back as you suggested? The grass is very stiff
and seems to be coming from a very thick stump. Also, do you know
what type of fescue this is?

It's not particularly ornamental (no strong bluish cast). At this
point, if you want to keep it I would suggest dividing it up and
replanting the vigorous parts from the edges to make new clumps.
But it might be a 'volunteer' seedlling that would be better off being
removed.

11. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/454/77050176qw.jpg
Do you think these were planted/belong here or should I take them out?

The likely Viburnums: I think they were planted there. Expect
burgundy colored foliage in the fall.

I don't think they are rose of sharon seedlings. They are not seedlings
(at least one good-sized stem can be seen).

compa
http://horticulture.missouri.edu/sta...urn_trilob.htm

http://home.att.net/~btlotz/house/sharon.jpg

(It's hard to find a photo of a rose of sharon that show much foliage!)

(attributed to Don Marti)