Old 07-07-2005, 10:08 PM

Default New Homeowner Needs Urgent Garden HELP! (FIXED)

We moved into a house about a month ago and after finally unpacking our
boxes, I have gotten around to tending the yard. The previous owner
did significant landscaping but did not leave me with any instructions
as to what was planted or how to care for it. I attempted to use
various sites to help me identify stuff, but it is a slow process and
some of the plants need urgent attention. So, I turn to you, the
members of rec.gardens to help me figure out what I have in my beds.
Some of the stuff looks like it isn't doing to well and I really need
help figuring out what it is and what I should do to save it. I have
uploaded the images (linked below). Each is about 1 MB in size (if you
can help but the size is too big, let me know). I live in Northeast
OH.
I will be checking this thread frequently if more pictures or
information is needed. If you can help identify or advise about any or
all flowers it will be appreciated.
Thank you so much!!!

1. http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8866/77050073vi.jpg
Budding plant with interesting leaves

2. http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=77050086yr.jpg
Intersting leafy plant - no sign of flowers yet

3. http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=77050091ym.jpg
Almost looks like a cactus

4. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/453/77050103qm.jpg
Tall purple flower

5. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4295/77050110iy.jpg
Leafy plant - no sign of flowers yet

6. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1503/77050123fg.jpg
Grasslike clump (cousin It). Needs some sort of scalp treatment as the
top most leaves are dried out.

7. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1108/77050138xo.jpg
Tiny flowers in a pot

8. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7325/77050148sj.jpg
Dying? bush - only has a few branches with leaves. In full shade

9. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6761/77050155wl.jpg
Wilting flowers (not the stuff behind them). In full shade

10. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3779/77050163af.jpg
Wilting flower growing out of a Hosta? In full shade

11. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/454/77050176qw.jpg
Were these planted or are they tree sprouts? In full shade

12. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8604/77050180tt.jpg
Dying? bush - about half the branches have leaves (some with white
flowers - on the left) but the other half is just bare branches
sticking upright. In full shade

13. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/65/77050198cl.jpg
Dying? bush surrounded by weeds?

14. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2148/77050207eo.jpg
Flowering plant with white edged leaves

15. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1177/77050212ye.jpg
Some sort of ivy/myrtle in front of a bright green bush

16. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4467/77050220um.jpg
Are these giant (2-3' tall) weeds?

17. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9919/77050230iw.jpg
Green small leaves poking through a patch of reeds; do I remove the
reeds?

18. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5952/77050245nr.jpg
BONUS - Fast growing non flowering plant in the water garden.

19. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7961/77050253bk.jpg
Yellow flowers

20. http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2439/77050260va.jpg
Tall white flowers (on the right) in a patch of something else which
has yet to flower.

21. http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7707/77050271zk.jpg
Some type of honeysuckle - it is only flowering in a few places - the
rest appears a dry twisted mess - how do I prune it?

22. http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9626/77050285tp.jpg
White flowering plant

23. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6881/77050295hj.jpg
This is a plant with interesting leaves and light green flowers that
has a vine growing through it. The vine has white flowers
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2240/77050304la.jpg Here is a
closeup of the vine Does the vine belong here?

24. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9407/77050318vc.jpg
A grassy plant with very large roundish buds

25. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6564/77050329lx.jpg
Cactus leafed plant with yellow flowers
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5779/77050351ui.jpg
In a few places the plant has flattened around the middle; is that
normal?

26. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/28/77050339xg.jpg
A type of Hosta? with white flowers

27. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3278/77050344en.jpg
Unidentified single flower

28. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3782/77050377yo.jpg
This bush (on the right) has a lot of branches exposed (but they all
have a tuft of leaves on the end)

29. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5979/77050382bx.jpg
Leafy plant with white flower shoot (on the right)

30. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/650/77050393xr.jpg
Craggly edged leaves with long soft-looking flowers

31. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3200/77050403ik.jpg
Is this a weed?

32. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/209/77050414fy.jpg
A vine that is growing up the wall