Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Ann

"madgardener" expounded:

I posted the flamingo in the fig picture over in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. been subscribed to it now for six years just
don't post there much. send my pictures to those who want them sent to them
now.
m.

Not there as of 5:45 pm Tuesday (
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 13-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Travis

Ann wrote:
"madgardener" expounded:

I posted the flamingo in the fig picture over in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. been subscribed to it now for six
years just don't post there much. send my pictures to those who
want them sent to them now.
m.

Not there as of 5:45 pm Tuesday (

Still not here as of 12:10am Wednesday July the 13th.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 13-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Travis

Travis wrote:
Ann wrote:
"madgardener" expounded:

I posted the flamingo in the fig picture over in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. been subscribed to it now for six
years just don't post there much. send my pictures to those who
want them sent to them now.
m.

Not there as of 5:45 pm Tuesday (

Still not here as of 12:10am Wednesday July the 13th.

Still not here as of 10:12am Wednesday July the 13th.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 14-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Travis

Travis wrote:
Travis wrote:
Ann wrote:
"madgardener" expounded:

I posted the flamingo in the fig picture over in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. been subscribed to it now for
six years just don't post there much. send my pictures to
those who want them sent to them now.
m.

Not there as of 5:45 pm Tuesday (

Still not here as of 12:10am Wednesday July the 13th.

Still not here as of 10:12am Wednesday July the 13th.

Still have not seen the Flamingo in the Fig picture as of 12:07am
Thursday July the 14th.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 14-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Travis

Travis wrote:
Travis wrote:
Travis wrote:
Ann wrote:
"madgardener" expounded:

I posted the flamingo in the fig picture over in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. been subscribed to it now for
six years just don't post there much. send my pictures to
those who want them sent to them now.
m.

Not there as of 5:45 pm Tuesday (

Still not here as of 12:10am Wednesday July the 13th.

Still not here as of 10:12am Wednesday July the 13th.

Still have not seen the Flamingo in the Fig picture as of 12:07am
Thursday July the 14th.

Thursday afternoon the picture has not shown up.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 16-07-2005, 02:53 AM
Registered User

Location: Victoria, BC, Canada - USDA Zone 8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anderson
I have a two basic requirements when it comes to what gets planted in the
very limited space that makes up my garden. The number one requirement
is size. The plant has to be able to grow 3 feet or higher. My second
requirement is toughness. The plant has to be able to negotiate the
jungle and survive on its own. No pansies, petunias, or any of those
kind of plants ever gets planted in my garden because they're too boring.
IMHO, they're like the little yap yap dog that looks cute but can't do
anything useful but eat and poop. I want plants that get big so all
summer I can sit back and referee the war that ensues as they all vie for
territory.

Anyway, this spring I went for the first time to this one nursery here in
Chicago around Rogers Park and they had a huge selection of different
plants. I stumbled upon Cleome and the tag said it grew to 4' so I
bought a six pack of seedlings and in the pots they went. So far these
plants have gotten huge and each one has 3 or 4 different flower clusters
and they keep getting bigger and bigger and there are plenty of growing
months left this year. So, for me, I award my plant of the year to
Cleome. It has practically taken over my garden although no plant can
beat the towering sunflowers. Here's a pic of my Cleome:

http://www.brandylion.com/gallery/Garden2005/120_2023

BTW: The leaves on this plant actually look like cannabis leaves so I
wonder if the two plant are related.

Does anyone know of other annual or perennial flowers that get this big?
Last years' Cleome got to be almost 5 1/2 feet tall including their flower heads. Their a keeper (whether you want them or not!) Photo: http://www.handales.com/gallery/VictoriaGarden/cleome

Mark Anderson wrote:
Does anyone know of other annual or perennial flowers that get this big?
Another one you might try is a flowering tobacco (Nicotiana sylvestris) - Annual - Zone 8-11. It grows to 5 feet tall with large leaves at the base and white pedulous flowers each up to 9 inches - smells great in the evening and self seeds (every where!) Photo: http://www.handales.com/gallery/VictoriaGarden
(Top-center, pale green leaves/white flowers - holding it's own beside the cleome.)

If your friends have one - get some seeds for next year.

Enjoy.
Old 16-07-2005, 07:50 AM
presley

Don't forget that cosmos (sensation strain) usually reaches 5-6 feet by
summer's end - depending on soil, rainfall, etc. It's another self-sower. I
had a friend who bought quite a few in flats one year. Gardeners came out of
the woodwork to tell her she was crazy - (one pack of seeds will sow a
garden full often). 15 years later she still has cosmos everywhere - and
this year she sprinkled preen down in early spring to deter weeds - but
cosmos sprang up unimpeded.

http://tinyurl.com/9g29o

http://tinyurl.com/dxpqs

http://tinyurl.com/8jtdn

Old 16-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Ann

LavenderBee expounded:

Another one you might try is a flowering tobacco (Nicotiana sylvestris)
- Annual - Zone 8-11. It grows to 5 feet tall with large leaves at the
base and white pedulous flowers each up to 9 inches - smells great in
the evening and self seeds (every where!) Photo:
http://tinyurl.com/8jtdn
(Top-center, pale green leaves/white flowers - holding it's own beside
the cleome.)

Make sure you allow plenty of room - right now my Nicotiana
sylvestris' base leaves are almost 3.5' in diameter! Absolutely huge,
they love where they're planted this year!
Old 16-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
Another one you might try is a flowering tobacco (Nicotiana sylvestris)
- Annual - Zone 8-11. It grows to 5 feet tall with large leaves at the
base and white pedulous flowers each up to 9 inches - smells great in
the evening and self seeds (every where!) Photo:
http://tinyurl.com/8jtdn
(Top-center, pale green leaves/white flowers - holding it's own beside
the cleome.)

If your friends have one - get some seeds for next year.

I had wanted to grow some tobacco plants this year but didn't get around
to ordering seeds. I'm in Zone 5 Chicago but in the summer can an
annual really tell the difference between zone 5 and zone 9? I really
wish nurseries around here would carry some of these exotic annuals
(well tobacco isn't that exotic or uncommon but it is around here).

[IMG] code is On

Pests on cleome starrysmile Gardening 3 24-06-2009 02:50 PM
cleome from seed Sue United Kingdom 1 01-05-2006 08:52 PM
cleome collapse Sue United Kingdom 0 26-06-2004 11:52 AM