Old 09-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Mark Anderson

Default Cleome

I have a two basic requirements when it comes to what gets planted in the
very limited space that makes up my garden. The number one requirement
is size. The plant has to be able to grow 3 feet or higher. My second
requirement is toughness. The plant has to be able to negotiate the
jungle and survive on its own. No pansies, petunias, or any of those
kind of plants ever gets planted in my garden because they're too boring.
IMHO, they're like the little yap yap dog that looks cute but can't do
anything useful but eat and poop. I want plants that get big so all
summer I can sit back and referee the war that ensues as they all vie for
territory.

Anyway, this spring I went for the first time to this one nursery here in
Chicago around Rogers Park and they had a huge selection of different
plants. I stumbled upon Cleome and the tag said it grew to 4' so I
bought a six pack of seedlings and in the pots they went. So far these
plants have gotten huge and each one has 3 or 4 different flower clusters
and they keep getting bigger and bigger and there are plenty of growing
months left this year. So, for me, I award my plant of the year to
Cleome. It has practically taken over my garden although no plant can
beat the towering sunflowers. Here's a pic of my Cleome:

http://www.brandylion.com/gallery/Garden2005/120_2023

BTW: The leaves on this plant actually look like cannabis leaves so I
wonder if the two plant are related.

Does anyone know of other annual or perennial flowers that get this big?

Old 09-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Vox Humana

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
I have a two basic requirements when it comes to what gets planted in the
very limited space that makes up my garden. The number one requirement
is size. The plant has to be able to grow 3 feet or higher. My second
requirement is toughness. The plant has to be able to negotiate the
jungle and survive on its own. No pansies, petunias, or any of those
kind of plants ever gets planted in my garden because they're too boring.
IMHO, they're like the little yap yap dog that looks cute but can't do
anything useful but eat and poop. I want plants that get big so all
summer I can sit back and referee the war that ensues as they all vie for
territory.

You'll be happy to know that cleome is a plant that you only have to buy
once. It will reseed itself and return year after year. Another plant to
add to you list of tall, tough plants for your annual garden (or perennial
garden if you are in zone 7 or higher) is the cannas. Most get 4 to 8 feet
tall, require no attention, thrive in most any soil, and will bloom in part
sun to full sun. If you only want the foliage, which can be striking, it is
also a choice for partial shade. They are also good for large containers.
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...00.msnw?Page=1

Old 10-07-2005, 04:10 AM
Travis

Mark Anderson wrote:
[...]

If those are California poppies on your rooftop garden be careful they
self seed all over the place. Can you walk on your roof without causing
leaks?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 10-07-2005, 07:22 AM
madgardener

[...]

well you seem to have the white ones. There are deep rose colored ones,
bright pink, and pinkish purple and a darker purple one as well. You can
always get seeds for cheap in the spring. They're known by the common names
of Spider flowers (the threads that hold the seed pods) and as "Cat's
Whiskers". You will have them from now on popping up in every container and
place where the seeds have fallen. They are so small they sun germinate and
usually show themselves around the end of April here in Eastern Tennessee.

No, they're not related to Cannabis. Cannabis doesn't have THORNS! Cleome
do. Cleome SPINOSA, told the local cops who came up our driveway one night
after a speeder who wound up in our driveway (dead end road) when he was
eyeballing the four foot plants to go ahead and grab one and yank it up. As
he wrapped his beefy hands around the central stalk, he let go of it and
hollered good. Those little spines bite pretty well.....he then remarked
that "marijuana ain't got spines!" I just smiled and said, yer right
officer, those are my flowers............they just LOOK like pot!
BTW: The leaves on this plant actually look like cannabis leaves so I
wonder if the two plant are related.

Cannabis is Cannabis Sativa or Cannabis Indica, Cleome are Cleome Spinosa as
far as I know......period (I'll look up the name tomorrow)

Does anyone know of other annual or perennial flowers that get this big?

Castor Bean plants. With the right soil, and start the seeds early enough,
can get to 15 foot. Some Canna's (mine and others) have them grow 12 foot.
I have Joe Pye that is past the gutters by August. Helianthus gets around 8
foot. Kuggle Sonne Helopsis is gutter high........Jeruselum sunflowers are
usually 10 foot. Then there's Iron Weed. It gets around 9 foot. Swamp
sunflower is about 8 foot. Zebra Grass averages about 7 foot once
established. And I've seen Pampas grass as high as 11 foot (Alabama where
it's wild)

There are plenty of tall plants. I think that you wouldn't have a problem
finding them if you like them large. (my Blue Egnima is a pigmy at 6 foot!
compared to the other tall plants I have.Oh yeah, some asters get about 5
foot or so........give me time and I'll have a better list for you........

madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36 (by the way, canna's
in Chicago won't winter over, unless you see some planted in yards that have
survived your winters)

Old 10-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Mark
Anderson writes

BTW: The leaves on this plant actually look like cannabis leaves so I
wonder if the two plant are related.

All plants are related, but Cleome and Cannabis aren't particularly
closely related. Cleome is in Capparaceae in Capparales aka Brassicales
in Eurosids II; Cannabis is in Cannabaceae in Rosales in Eurosids I.
Cleome is closer to mallow and maple than to cannabis; cannabis is
closer to rose and elm than to Cleome.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 10-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Mark Anderson

In article lid says...
If those are California poppies on your rooftop garden be careful they
self seed all over the place. Can you walk on your roof without causing
leaks?

Although the California poppies may seed all over, they have to compete
with all the other wildflowers which keeps them in check. They have
problems because they don't grow that big and tend to get smothered by
the other plants as the summer progresses. If a bunch of them can
establish a beachhead then they make it.

The roofs are rubber which is pretty durable and for the mid level roof
top I had the joists reinforced to interior bathroom standards, 2x12s
spanning 10 feet, 16" oc, so it can hold a lot of weight -- even in the
middle of the span. To protect the rubber roof I laid another layer of
rubber material over that. Where people walk I put a layer of foam
matting, those 2'x2' interlocking squares, and then there's an outdoor
carpet over that to protect the foam. So far, 3 years later there hasn't
been any leaks (knock on wood). On the main roof which I started this
year, I just laid an extra layer of rubber material where the planters
are and placed the planters on wood so that the weight of the planters
don't melt them through the roof during hot days. That rooftop isn't
reinforced so the planters can only be placed next to a wall where the
stress on the beams is mostly shear instead of deflection. The shear
strength of those beams is more than enough to support each planter which
holds 3 cubic feet of dirt. I only go up on that rooftop once a day to
water and check the plants and I have to be careful when walking on the
raw roof material.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:44 AM
madgardener

thanks Stewart! once again you've educated me and proven once more that I
learn something new every day and still want to go to college to learn more
about Horticulture! REALLY!! I'm being serious. I liked this so well, I
sent it to myself so I'd be able to put it into my garden journal. Now if I
could only identify the fern I brought with me from my house in Nashville 13
years ago that has adapted itself to direct sunlight of south and western
exposure that I've nicknamed my "Stainless steal, cast iron Nashville
walking fern" because it's tenacity towards sunlight and toughness, and that
it sends out "toes" for the next year's ferns to rise from, hense the name
"walking fern" I have pictures...............but you'd have to e-mail me
to see them. I don't post here anymore and apparently my posted pictures on
the newsgroup that allows pictures gets no responses either.....
madgardener
In message , Mark
Anderson writes

Old 11-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , madgardener
writes
[...]

Then you may be interested in

http://www.mobot.org/MOBOT/Research/APweb/

which is the nearest thing to the last word in flowering plant
classification that you'll find in one place.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Travis

madgardener wrote:
[...]

Madgardener

The last time you said you were going to post pictures to the binary
group you misspelled the group name so that may explain the lack of
quote marks.

Please try again.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 12-07-2005, 02:53 AM
Ann

Stewart Robert Hinsley expounded:

Then you may be interested in

http://www.mobot.org/MOBOT/Research/APweb/

which is the nearest thing to the last word in flowering plant
classification that you'll find in one place.
--

I would be interested to see what CV says about this site. Is it any
good, Steve?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:22 AM
madgardener

I posted the flamingo in the fig picture over in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. been subscribed to it now for six years just
don't post there much. send my pictures to those who want them sent to them
now.
m.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Travis

madgardener wrote:
I posted the flamingo in the fig picture over in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. been subscribed to it now for six
years just don't post there much. send my pictures to those who
want them sent to them now.
m.

The pic hasn't shown up in the pix group yet. Maybe it will be there in
the morning.

My address is travis dot shoreline at gmail dot com.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 12-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Callen Molenda

"madgardener" wrote in message
I posted the flamingo in the fig picture over in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. been subscribed to it now for six years

just
don't post there much. send my pictures to those who want them sent to

them
now.
m.

Hey Maddie - don't know if others have this problem but my ISP doesn't carry
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens (although they do carry every kind of
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica... you can imagine!!). So when you get the
cool photos if you have time please send them to me via e-mail.

Take care,

Callen

Old 12-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Travis

madgardener wrote:
I posted the flamingo in the fig picture over in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. been subscribed to it now for six
years just don't post there much. send my pictures to those who
want them sent to them now.
m.

You picture still has not shown up in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

[IMG] code is On

Pests on cleome starrysmile Gardening 3 24-06-2009 03:50 PM
cleome from seed Sue United Kingdom 1 01-05-2006 09:52 PM
cleome collapse Sue United Kingdom 0 26-06-2004 12:52 PM