GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Beautiful "weed" - Epipactis helleborine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/97256-beautiful-%22weed%22-epipactis-helleborine.html)

[email protected] 11-07-2005 05:05 PM

Beautiful "weed" - Epipactis helleborine

I had wonderful surprise in my garden a week ago. I had resisted
pulling a weed that was growing amongst some hostas along the
foundation of my house, and it bloomed...the most beautiful orchid-like
flowers, with a lavendar and green color.

After much searching on the web, I've finally identified it - Epipactis
helleborine:
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...actishell.html

Anyone else have this plant? Any ideas on how I can encourage it to
keep coming back?

:) Carol

Vox Humana 11-07-2005 06:14 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I had wonderful surprise in my garden a week ago. I had resisted
pulling a weed that was growing amongst some hostas along the
foundation of my house, and it bloomed...the most beautiful orchid-like
flowers, with a lavendar and green color.

After much searching on the web, I've finally identified it - Epipactis
helleborine:
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...actishell.html

Anyone else have this plant? Any ideas on how I can encourage it to
keep coming back?

I have something that looks like this growing in the wooded part of my
property. I don't recall ever seeing it bloom, however. Now I will start
searching to see if I can find one in bloom. I have been weeding it out of
my beds. It is really pretty. I'm in zone 6.

[email protected] 11-07-2005 06:28 PM

I should have mentioned....I am in zone 6 as well (Northern New Jersey)
and this plant is located in a part shade spot that gets some filtered
sunlight in the morning. I make compost out of mulched oak leaves, so I
presume the soil is quite acidic (and therefore woodland-like).

CW

SVTKate 12-07-2005 12:50 PM

oups.com...
:
: After much searching on the web, I've finally identified it - Epipactis
: helleborine:
: http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...actishell.html
:
: Anyone else have this plant? Any ideas on how I can encourage it to
: keep coming back?
:
::) Carol

Hey Carol!
I had something like that happen to me this year too!
We only bought our house last year and have just put in some rock garden.
We bought mulch from a local nursery and have had really quite allot of junk
in it but I have tried to watch for weeds.

These two little guys came up all on their own and WOW what a great
surprise!
http://www.kizthiz.com/1vine.jpg
http://www.kizthiz.com/1vine.jpg

I am hoping to get seeds from them and to grow them again next year
Arent blooming surprises just wonderful!

Kate

Ann 12-07-2005 10:51 PM

expounded:

I had wonderful surprise in my garden a week ago. I had resisted
pulling a weed that was growing amongst some hostas along the
foundation of my house, and it bloomed...the most beautiful orchid-like
flowers, with a lavendar and green color.

After much searching on the web, I've finally identified it - Epipactis
helleborine:
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...actishell.html

Anyone else have this plant? Any ideas on how I can encourage it to
keep coming back?

They grow as far north as Middleton, NH, which is zone 5a, I believe.
I don't think you need to do anything to them to keep them, they grow
where they're happy :o) I've seen them in several places around here
in New England, all in moist, woodsy soil, and while I've never done a
pH test, I'm sure the soil is very acid.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Erkki Aalto 13-07-2005 05:56 AM

Ann wrote:

: They grow as far north as Middleton, NH, which is zone 5a, I believe.
: I don't think you need to do anything to them to keep them, they grow
: where they're happy :o) I've seen them in several places around here
: in New England, all in moist, woodsy soil, and while I've never done a
: pH test, I'm sure the soil is very acid.

I have seen it in Finland growing on dry limestone cliffs.
Unfortunately, it is not an weed in Europe.

--
Erkki 'Örkki' Aalto "Life is divided up into
Internet: the horrible and the miserable"

Erkki Aalto 13-07-2005 05:58 AM

Ann wrote:

: They grow as far north as Middleton, NH, which is zone 5a, I believe.
: I don't think you need to do anything to them to keep them, they grow
: where they're happy :o) I've seen them in several places around here
: in New England, all in moist, woodsy soil, and while I've never done a
: pH test, I'm sure the soil is very acid.

I have seen it in Finland growing on dry limestone cliffs.
Unfortunately, it is not a weed in Europe.