Old 13-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Darren Garrison

Default Japanese Snowball Viburnum plicatum help needed

I have a Viburnum plicatum that I bought in 2004. It grew from around a single "trunk" a foot or so
tall to several "trunks" around 4 feet tall last year, but I decided that I needed to move it
because it was on a part of my property that floods to maybe 6 inches depth during heavy rain and
takes days for the water to drain away. During such a rain last week, I waded out in the calf deep
water and dug up the plant in a lump of mud, but unfortunately I cut back the roots pretty bad in
the process. When I replanted it, the leaves started drooping badly. I cut off maybe 75% of the
leaves to cut down on the amount of water the plant needs, but the remaining leaves still droop.
One rainy morning this week, the leaves did perk back up, but later in the day they began to droop
again, so I know that, at least then, it wasn't dead yet. I've been keeping the plant watered, and
as I've said, I removed around 75% of the leaves, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can
do to try to help the plant survive. Should I cut back the "trunks" by a couple of feet?

Old 13-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Travis

Darren Garrison wrote:
[...]

Keep it watered but don't drown it again. I will probably make it.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 13-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Bourne Identity

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:58:17 -0400, Darren Garrison
wrote:

[...]

When a plant does that during the day, but perks up when it cools
down, it actually wilting as a way of protecting itself, so to speak.
I have healthy brugmansia's and during the day they wilt, somewhat. I
do water them, but they preserve the water in the cells by wilting.
Keep it watered and what you can do is buy some liquid seaweed, follow
the label directions for transplant shock, or for transplant or just
how to use it and water the shrub about once a week with that
application. It will encourage roots to grow faster than if you don't
use it.

Victoria