GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Do thorns decompose? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/97632-do-thorns-decompose.html)

Cheryl Isaak 19-07-2005 01:11 PM

Do thorns decompose?

My daughter (age 6) asked that as we trimmed the wild raspberries back (yet
again).

I find sources on line that say no or poorly. I'd try the experiment with
her, but she's a little young for a multiple year experiment. And previous
trimmings are not easily accessible - I've been taking them to the dump to
keep them out of my compost piles.

Cheryl

Cereus-validus....... 19-07-2005 01:21 PM

Yes, they do.

The same as any other woody plant material.

Bacteria are amazing critters that can metabolize any organic material,
including crude oil and plastics. Cellulose is not a problem for them.

Bourne Identity 19-07-2005 01:43 PM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:11:34 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

My daughter (age 6) asked that as we trimmed the wild raspberries back (yet
again).

I find sources on line that say no or poorly. I'd try the experiment with
her, but she's a little young for a multiple year experiment. And previous
trimmings are not easily accessible - I've been taking them to the dump to
keep them out of my compost piles.

Cheryl

I have blackberries and before I prune them I drag a Scotch pad, those
green scruffy pads for pots and non-stick surfaces, up and down the
stems to open the thorns (so to speak). It helps give the bacteria
and fungi a place to enter and they decompose MUCH faster this way.
Otherwise, they will decompose eventually, but it takes a very long
time and if you reach into the pile you will get stuck up to a year
later. Especially if there are hard core thorns like Rosa rugosa.
Ouch!

Victoria

Fritz Oppliger 19-07-2005 03:28 PM

wrote:

[...]

They decompose fine.
Yes, it really helps if the vines are opened up to bacteria. If you don't
have a shredder, pile them up in your driveway and crush them with your
car by driving over the pile a few times.

Fritz

--
Fritz Oppliger

Cheryl Isaak 19-07-2005 03:47 PM

Thank you all!

I suspect they will keep going to the dump - I just don't have room for a
brush pile.

Cheryl