Old 08-03-2003, 01:32 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Identify water plant please

Please help me identify this freshwater aquatic plant. I am trying to
get a picture but so far not available.

The plant floats with stem segments about 2" (50 mm) long, the top of
the leaves are above the surface and they are dense on the stem with
very short stalks so only the leaves are visible from above. The
underside of the segments have a mat of dark greenish roots hanging down
about 1/2" (12mm) to 1" (25mm).

The leaves are oval, a uniform bright green about 1/2" (12mm) long and
2/3rds of that wide. The leaves occur mainly in pairs on the stem, each
leaf has a crease down the centre in line with where it is attached to
the stem so that the top is slightly concave. The upper surface is
covered with short hair-like protruberances and sheds water. The leaves
feel soft and fleshy to the touch.

David

Old 08-03-2003, 03:20 AM
Cereoid+10+

Salvinia, perhaps?

http://agnews.tamu.edu/agex/salvinia.html

Old 08-03-2003, 11:32 PM
David Hare-Scott

"Cereoid+10+" wrote in message
.. .
Salvinia, perhaps?

http://agnews.tamu.edu/agex/salvinia.html

Thanks

Yes, that's it. Declared noxious here as it is so invasive - so much
for that idea.

David

Old 09-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Beecrofter

Thanks

Yes, that's it. Declared noxious here as it is so invasive - so much
for that idea.

David

I have the stuff here in CT it came by way of a pet store with
tropical fish.
It is an EXTREMELY fast grower and spreader. I would be wary of it
south of Philadelphia. In one summer a fistfull of the stuff covered
the surface of an unused swimming pool about 4-6" deep.
For me it works as a biofilter as I harvest it from my aquariums and
use it as mulch thus removing excess nutrients.
Again you don't want this plant anywhere it's warm.