Old 24-07-2005, 02:28 AM
sherwindu

Default Cow Manure Question

There is only one Garden Center in my area that stocks the real thing cow manure. Unfortunately,
his supplier in Texas (Pure-Tex) has closed down and his substitute appears to be not as good.
The Pure-Tex product had a 2-1-2 rating and this new stuff is .2-.2-.2. I have since scoured
the web for alternatives and found a large variation in these specs, like 1-1-1 and 5-5-5. It seems

that if all this stuff is pure dehydrated cow manure, the ratings should all be very close.
I like cow manure because it is a slow release fertilizer and works great on flowers, vegetables,
and
fruit trees. Does anyone know of a supplier of this stuff who might ship it to a
Chicago area supplier, if I can find one? I also thought about mushroom compost,
but that is more directed to soil conditioning, like breaking up clay, and has a lot of
other material in it that I may not need. Comments are welcome.

Sherwin D.

Old 24-07-2005, 03:52 AM

A national brand is "bovung" from Scotts marketing group. It is listed
as 1-1-1

Old 24-07-2005, 06:04 AM
sherwindu

Problem is that I can't find any information about it on the web.

Sherwin D.

Old 24-07-2005, 03:30 PM
simy1

There are three things to consider: how much moisture was taken out,
did they add any chemical fertilizer to make it more powerful, and is
the manure from grass-fed or grain-fed cows. If grass-fed, 2-1-2 is
probably the correct profile. If grain-fed, 2-2-2 is probably closer to
real profile. You still have to multiply by a factor that depends on
moisture and chemical "corrections". Manure is good also because of its
high micronutrient content. It is possible that the 5-5-5 thing is
relatively poorer in Mg or Ca.

Old 24-07-2005, 05:01 PM

All I did was type "bovung" into a search engine.

You don't know shit!

Old 25-07-2005, 05:52 AM
sherwindu

First of all, nobody likes a smart ass.

Secondly, I found references to bovung, but no contacts on how or where to buy it.

Sherwin D.

Old 25-07-2005, 06:43 AM
Travis

wrote:

All I did was type "bovung" into a search engine.

You don't know shit!

I emailed Scotts and asked them if they sell it where I live.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

[IMG] code is On

"cow manure & compost" really a mulch? OhioGuy Gardening 8 27-03-2009 02:54 PM
T-Shirts made with 100% cow manure [email protected] Gardening 5 17-11-2005 08:37 AM
dry cow manure Lee Gardening 4 28-09-2004 07:08 AM
Want to buy Mulch and bulk cow manure in Melbourne - advice please DeeJ Australia 0 25-10-2003 03:02 AM
Cow manure fertiliser Franz Heymann United Kingdom 43 07-10-2003 09:48 PM