Old 10-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Kudzu

Default "Snakes" on PBS

Anybody watching this? How interesting. I have never been
afraid of snakes. Never. Even the poisonous ones. I raised snakes
as a kid and even let them sleep with me at night. They would come
and coil on my stomach to catch the warmth. Sometimes I got bitten,
but it never was a problem.

I noticed while watching the program tonight that when they
played the sound of a rattler, my cats responded and ran out
of the room..

Interesting.

k.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 01:06:51 GMT, Kudzu wrote:

I noticed while watching the program tonight that when they
played the sound of a rattler, my cats responded and ran out
of the room..

hhmmm cats are smarter than some humans?

Regards,

tomj
Old 10-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Kudzu wrote:

Anybody watching this?

I thought is was way to repetetive, disjointed and dumbed-down.

I noticed while watching the program tonight that when they
played the sound of a rattler, my cats responded and ran out
of the room.

The sound of a rattlesnake can FREEZE a human even if they have
never heard it before. As a child, I was rockhopping down a
talus slope in AZ and heard a very menacing sound coming from
under the rock I had just landed on.

I knew about them, but had never heard or seen one, but the
sound was enough to freeze me in my tracks. My dad located the
snake and fished it out for use to look at, then released it.

The next wild rattler I had a close encounter with was curled
up on my sleeping bag, enjoying the warmth! My dad flipped that
one into the bushes with a shovel, and I slept in the car the
rest of the trip.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 10-02-2003, 08:25 PM
BenignVanilla

"Tsu Dho Nimh" wrote in message
snip
The sound of a rattlesnake can FREEZE a human even if they have
never heard it before. As a child, I was rockhopping down a
talus slope in AZ and heard a very menacing sound coming from
under the rock I had just landed on.

snip

We stumbled on to one sunning himself near a crag we wanted to climb
Virginia. We watched him for a few, and then he slid off the path and let us
pass, nary a rattle.

BV.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:25 PM
BenignVanilla

"Tom Jaszewski" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 01:06:51 GMT, Kudzu wrote:

I noticed while watching the program tonight that when they
played the sound of a rattler, my cats responded and ran out
of the room..

hhmmm cats are smarter than some humans?

Whenever the Dominos Pizza commercial comes on and the guy rings the
doorbell, my dog goes crazy.

Cats maybe. Dogs no.

BV.

Old 10-02-2003, 11:25 PM
J. Farnsworth Wallaby

Here in Southern California, they can come out of the woodwork,
literally. Especially if you happen to live near an area that is being
developed. The bulldozers will disrupt their nests and the rattlers
scurry for shelter and shade.

Here in USDA 9B...Sunset #19, I've got two diamond backs on my 3+ acres
which slither through the ice plant next to my avocado grove in the hot
summer afternoons.

The sound of their rattlers has always reminded me of a dry leaf being
blown across the asphalt by a gentle wind...

Alain

Old 10-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"BenignVanilla"
wrote:

"Tsu Dho Nimh" wrote in message
.. .
snip
The sound of a rattlesnake can FREEZE a human even if they have
never heard it before. As a child, I was rockhopping down a
talus slope in AZ and heard a very menacing sound coming from
under the rock I had just landed on.

snip

We stumbled on to one sunning himself near a crag we wanted to climb
Virginia. We watched him for a few, and then he slid off the path and let us
pass, nary a rattle.

Had you jumped onto a rock directly over his head, he would
have rattled. My parents took a picture at Mesa Verde and didn't
notice the rattlr under the bush untilafter the pictures were
developed. He was a few feet offthe trail, snoozing.

Tsu

Old 11-02-2003, 05:25 AM
B & J

Kudzu wrote:

The sound of a rattlesnake can FREEZE a human even if they have
never heard it before. As a child, I was rockhopping down a
talus slope in AZ and heard a very menacing sound coming from
under the rock I had just landed on.

I knew about them, but had never heard or seen one, but the
sound was enough to freeze me in my tracks. My dad located the
snake and fished it out for use to look at, then released it.

The next wild rattler I had a close encounter with was curled
up on my sleeping bag, enjoying the warmth! My dad flipped that
one into the bushes with a shovel, and I slept in the car the
rest of the trip.

Tsu

You should have seen my wife's reaction when we unearthed a small copperhead
in the mulch we were removing around the rose bushes. It was pretty
lethargic in 45 degree temperatures, but needless to say, I had to finish
removal of the rest of the old mulch unaided. G

John

Old 12-02-2003, 04:55 AM
CWilde

I think your reaction might have to do with how much experience you have
with poisonous snakes.

Arizona, somewhere in the late 90's, living on TV guide land, with very
little income. The car was broke down on one of the back roads in the summer
time, gas line leak from the rocks, my ex was trying to fix it with glue,
when a rattlesnake shading himself from the sun snatched the ball cap off
his head.

You don't always hear the rattle.

Carlotta

Old 12-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"CWilde" wrote:

I think your reaction might have to do with how much experience you have
with poisonous snakes.

Arizona, somewhere in the late 90's, living on TV guide land, with very
little income. The car was broke down on one of the back roads in the summer
time, gas line leak from the rocks, my ex was trying to fix it with glue,
when a rattlesnake shading himself from the sun snatched the ball cap off
his head.

That's what he gets for wearing the local pro baseball team logo
cap The snakes think it's cool.

Tsu

Old 13-02-2003, 01:55 PM
zhanataya

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 05:28:45 -0700, Tsu Dho Nimh
wrote:

That's what he gets for wearing the local pro baseball team logo
cap The snakes think it's cool.

Tsu

Or maybe the snake was cheering for the other team.