Old 10-02-2003, 04:25 AM
madgard

Default arghhh

arghhh more snow. but I have to admit, this one is going to be a beauty. I
can't wait to get the boots on, and go out tomorrow and capture some awesome
mountain side pictures of English Mountain shrouded in snow and the plants
adn trees covered in it. 4 inches and still falling......................
madgardener listening to John Gorka and watching the snow fall thru the
window

Old 10-02-2003, 04:55 AM
Gloria

Send me some pics, would'ja? I'd love to see some snow....it's raining
here...again

Gloria

"madgard" wrote in message
arghhh more snow. but I have to admit, this one is going to be a beauty. I
can't wait to get the boots on, and go out tomorrow and capture some

awesome
mountain side pictures of English Mountain shrouded in snow and the plants
adn trees covered in it. 4 inches and still falling......................
madgardener listening to John Gorka and watching the snow fall thru the
window

---

Old 10-02-2003, 04:55 PM
madgard

e-mail me and I'll send YOU some (I won't disrespect you and send jokes or
viruses, I use a good updated McAfee) madgardener

Old 10-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Todd J.

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 22:24:24 -0500, "madgard"
wrote:

arghhh more snow. but I have to admit, this one is going to be a beauty. I
can't wait to get the boots on, and go out tomorrow and capture some awesome
mountain side pictures of English Mountain shrouded in snow and the plants
adn trees covered in it. 4 inches and still falling......................
madgardener listening to John Gorka and watching the snow fall thru the
window

English Mountain?????? Your not in Tennessee are you?

Change the .com to .net to email me

Old 11-02-2003, 01:55 AM
Todd J.

Good for you.

Monteagle/Tracy City myself.

Well yes. I am, in Dandridge......................maddie
.. .

Old 11-02-2003, 03:25 AM
Ralph D.

Well... I gotta say that I read the 'Oh joy, oh joy it's snowing post before
this one and I thought 'seems I liked this Madgardner character in the past,
but how can I take anyone *this* happy about snow?' Seems I'm about sick of
snow. But... then I read this: "madgardener listening to John Gorka". Anyone
who's listening to Gorka is OK by me G

What CD were you listening too? Have you ever seen him live? We've got all
except the last CD and have seen him maybe 7 or 8 times!!!! Do you have
Temporary Road? If not, go to his website at http://www.johngorka.com/ where
he's put it up (the CD in it's entirety) for download for free!!!!! How many
artists are doing *that* right now?

Anyhowz... seeinz how you appear to be living on a farm, here's a Gorka tune
for just this season... enjoy!

"Winter Cows"

The cows in the moo yard are making their plans
For the long winter nights and the cold winter hands
Some out in the fields are covered with snow
The black ones turn white and the white ones don't show

Big lamps in the sunset, between bovine dreams
Their icicled udders are waiting for spring
And up from the road comes the sound of the wheel
Just an old ice cream wagon, they say "I know how you feel"

Some dream of India, where their cousins are stars
But they don't like the crowds, so they stay where they are
And some dream of Florida, of roaming the beach
With metal detectors for gold they can reach

Well, what can you do? It's the ice or the flies
The temperature slowing, the tails going by
It's a dairy existence, and I must conclude...
Cold milk in a bottle still beats frozen foods

GGGGG

ralph
--
Post or lose an 'n' to reply...

Old 11-02-2003, 04:55 AM
B & J

"madgard" wrote in message
arghhh more snow. but I have to admit, this one is going to be a beauty. I
can't wait to get the boots on, and go out tomorrow and capture some

awesome
mountain side pictures of English Mountain shrouded in snow and the plants
adn trees covered in it. 4 inches and still falling......................
madgardener listening to John Gorka and watching the snow fall thru the
window

I guess I never sent you the joke about the Southerner who moved north and
his evolution of attitude toward the "beauty" of snow.

I have this attitude toward snow now: If it starts about eight in the
morning, lasts until noon, and melts by five in the afternoon without
leaving any ice on the driveway or roads, it's beautiful. If it lasts any
longer, it turns into the stuff you clean out of the gutter behind cows.

John

Old 11-02-2003, 06:25 PM
MadGardener

Todd J. wrote in
:

Good for you.

Monteagle/Tracy City myself.

ahh yes, Monteagle, where you have to hang on to your hair when
you're coming down I-75 and the trucks have to take the runaway lane.
Where the smell of burning brakes on trucks is thick, and where you'd
better be watching out for Bubba Law at the bottom of the hill and
not be doing more than 50 or he'll nab yer ass...............(GBSEG
madgardener

Old 11-02-2003, 07:25 PM
MadGardener

"Ralph D." wrote in
:

Well... I gotta say that I read the 'Oh joy, oh joy it's snowing post
before this one and I thought 'seems I liked this Madgardner character in
the past, but how can I take anyone *this* happy about snow?

yes, I am *this* happy about snow. It's poor man's mulch, moisture that is
gentle, and keeps the little plants slumbering. And it makes the insects
uncomfortable! When I lived in Denver's suburb, Aurora (I called it the
"Armpit", I loved the feet of snow because it was a different kind. It was
a "dry" snow.....and you got used to wearing the proper clothes, going
about your day, driving in it, etc. Here in the hills of Eastern
Tennessee, they're really not used to it much, but FINALLY we're getting
some people living down here that's lived where snow was regularly a part
of winter and deal with it. Like you do. They actually have learned to
salt the roads with a liquid BEFORE the snow's come. Makes things a bit
easier if you have to go into town.G

'Seems I'm about sick of snow. But... then I read this: "madgardener
listening to John Gorka". Anyone who's listening to Gorka is OK by me G

thank you Ralph. I love his voice and his sense of humor tucked into his
music. He also has kick ass back up (Lucy Kaplanski, etc) and he's a great
song writer. Loved his song about his then new son, "he looks like an angel
when he sleeps, but he looks like Charles Bronson when he cries" that was
sweet! I could SEE it!!

I LOVE Michael Mannring's bass licks. I got to see him solo years ago in
Knoxville and he blew me out of the water. I am still hunting for his cd
(Mannring's) that's one incredible musician. That John uses him in all his
albums speaks volumn's.

(I also like David Wilcox and Chuck Broadski...two more good
songwriter/singers) For an old broad, I like younger stuff, although John's
last cd had MY song on it about getting old.....LOL

What CD were you listening too?

The one simply titled "Gorka" which came out on Red House in 1998.

Have you ever seen him live?

No, sadly I haven't. The closest he's come is in North Carolina (WNCW has
concert information all the time, apparently North Cackalacky is popping
with where it's at for musicians to perform) how I wish the idiots in
Knoxville were more open to this jandrae (sp??) of music. I like all kinds.
That's why I listen to Spindale. (that's where the station broadcasts from)
and had it not been for me moving here, and finding this station, I'd never
even had HEARD of JOhn Gorka! And alot of others that were out there, like
Greg Brown, Patty Larkin, Dar Williams, Bill Miller, Richard Shindale,
etc...

We've got all except the last CD and have seen him maybe 7 or 8 times!!!!

I have them all, I've made sure of that. I hear he's coming out with
another one soon I get updates from Red House records on my e-mail. So is
Greg Brown and a few others. Makes my times of low money a bit more
intolerable as I love music as much as I love gardening and plants and all
that it embraces..............I'd LOVE to see him!!

Do you have Temporary Road?

yes indeedy. I discovered an early one at my favorite cd source and that
completed the collection until the newest release. Would you like a copy of
this last and most recent one? I could burn it and send it your way if
you're interested........ let me know.

If not, go to his website at http://www.johngorka.com/ where he's put it
up (the CD in it's entirety) for download for free!!!!! How many artists
are doing*that*
right now?

not many, but the ones who appreciate that it's US that keeps them going
are considerate like that. If you like diversified music, go to your
Brower and type in WNCW.org and give the station a listen...........well
worth a checking out. I support them as a listener because they're an NPR
station, but beyond comparison to any station you've heard recently. They
are unique.

Anyhowz... seeinz how you appear to be living on a farm, here's a Gorka
tune for just this season... enjoy!

I live surrounded by pastures and other people's farms.........my front
neighbor I speak of on occaison, Miz Mary is retired as a communications
secretary at University of Tennessee in Knoxville and her brother in law is
an owner/operator semi driver and he has those cows I speak of so fondly
for their pies. The idiot across the shared driveway is a non-working
whatever he is, living on what used to be a farm but is now in total
shambles and over growth. All around me are little subdivisions where the
older families children has split up the acreage and tucked in the hollers
and hillsides are people who own either horses or cows. My land is tucked
in an area that was rezoned agricultural. (the people here around me also
grow a tobacco allotment each year for income) I myself am just a city
girl who has found a little spot of wonder here in the hills and hollers of
Eastern Tennessee G

and that was on "I Know"...... I like the little remark he made in the
album I was listening to, "now that I've moved to MInnesota, I had to
remove the lyrics about whinning about the cold out, peer pressure" I say
put them back in, John I wanna hear them! G

"Winter Cows"

The cows in the moo yard are making their plans For the long winter nights
and the cold winter hands Some out in the fields are covered with snow The
black ones turn white and the white ones don't show Big lamps in the
sunset, between bovine dreams Their icicled udders are waiting for spring
And up from the road comes the sound of the wheel Just an old ice cream
wagon, they say "I know how you feel"

Some dream of India, where their cousins are stars But they don't like the
crowds, so they stay where they are And some dream of Florida, of roaming
the beach With metal detectors for gold they can reach Well, what can you
do? It's the ice or the flies The temperature slowing, the tails going by
It's a dairy existence, and I must conclude...
Cold milk in a bottle still beats frozen foods GGGGG ralph

if you'd like a burnt copy of his last newest one, holler at me at my e-
mail..........madgardener up on the ridge, back in fairy holler overlooking
English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee where it's up to 49oF woo hoo!!
--
Post or lose an 'n' to reply...

Old 11-02-2003, 07:25 PM
MadGardener

"B & J" wrote in

"madgard"
wrote in message ...
arghhh more snow. but I have to admit, this one is going to be a
beauty. I can't wait to get the boots on, and go out tomorrow and
capture some awesome mountain side pictures of English Mountain shrouded
in snow and the plants adn trees covered in it. 4 inches and still
falling...................... madgardener listening to John Gorka and
watching the snow fall thru the window

I guess I never sent you the joke about the Southerner who movednorth
and his evolution of attitude toward the "beauty" of snow.

I have this attitude toward snow now: If it starts about eight in the
morning, lasts until noon, and melts by five in the afternoon without
leaving any ice on the driveway or roads, it's beautiful. If it lasts
any longer, it turns into the stuff you clean out of the gutterbehind
cows.

John

actually you did......I laughed my ass off. You lived in Minnesota too
long Brudder John...............
"maddie"

Old 12-02-2003, 03:55 AM
CWilde

I don't know, I wish I could be a teacher and stay home when the weather is
bad. How bout driving on ice, your car coated with white salt from following
the snow plow, wondering if the ditch will become your friend I could win
the lottery if only I played.

Carlotta

Old 12-02-2003, 04:55 AM
B & J

"CWilde" wrote in message
I don't know, I wish I could be a teacher and stay home when the weather

is
bad. How bout driving on ice, your car coated with white salt from

following
the snow plow, wondering if the ditch will become your friend I could

win
the lottery if only I played.

Carlotta

Be careful what you wish for, Carlotta. I used to be a teacher in a school
in northern MN in which school for students could be cancelled, but the
teachers had to report or be docked. Fortunately I lived a couple of blocks
from school, which meant many knee deep walks to school for me, but many
fellow teachers weren't so fortunate.

Interestingly enough we had a winter accompanied by a blizzard every weekend
for five weeks. By the end of the worst part of the snow season, we had an
accumulation in excess of 10'. That same winter included temperatures in
which the high for the day was a -10. I have never cleaned so much snow from
my driveway before or since and never want to!

John