Old 10-03-2003, 03:20 PM
will

Default How do I keep my roses alive?

Hello.

I recently planted a Don Juan climbing rose plant in my back yard.

I was wondering what is suggested in order to get the plant established
and on it's way to a healthy life.

I live in Texas, and the summers tend to get a bit hot if that makes any
difference......

Appreciate the help.......

=will=

Old 10-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Pam

will wrote:

Hello.

I recently planted a Don Juan climbing rose plant in my back yard.

I was wondering what is suggested in order to get the plant established
and on it's way to a healthy life.

I live in Texas, and the summers tend to get a bit hot if that makes any
difference......

Texas is a wonderful place to grow roses - they love the heat! I hope you
planted it in a well amended planting hole in full sun with good air
circulation. Roses are heavy feeders, so fertilize regularly with a rose
fertilizer and water often and deeply. Watch for insect damage or signs of
disease and take appropriate early actions to control. 'Don Juan' is a
great, bright red climber - allow it to develop long canes which should be
trained as close to horizontal as possible. The lateral shoots which emerge
from these canes will provide your flowers. Very little pruning of climbers
is required for the first few years. Enjoy!

pam - gardengal

Old 10-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Starlord

Roses don't mind heat, but right now before they get to hot, a good shovel full
of steer manure around their base with a slow soaking that day will not hurt
them at all. Then I'd use the Ortho Rose Guard rose food around them.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com

Old 10-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Pam

"Starlord

Roses don't mind heat, but right now before they get to hot, a good shovel full
of steer manure around their base with a slow soaking that day will not hurt
them at all. Then I'd use the Ortho Rose Guard rose food around them.

Rose fertilizer and systemic combos (i.e, Ortho Rose Pride, Dexol Rose Guard,
Bayer, etc.) tend to be some of the more toxic products on the market. Most contain
disulfoton as the active ingredient for insect control. It is very highly toxic to
all mammals through all means of exposure. I'd avoid using this product at all
costs. Refer to EXTOXNET for addtional information:
http://ace.ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/pips/disulfot.htm

pam - gardengal

Old 10-03-2003, 10:32 PM
B & J

"will" wrote in message
Hello.

I recently planted a Don Juan climbing rose plant in my back yard.

I was wondering what is suggested in order to get the plant established
and on it's way to a healthy life.

I live in Texas, and the summers tend to get a bit hot if that makes any
difference......

Appreciate the help.......

=will=

I've gotten in the habit of spraying the foliage of my Don Juan and hybrid
teas with full-strength Miracid solution every ten days. It works to keep
black spot and other fungal diseases in check. The only times I have trouble
with black spot is when I try to stretch that spraying time frame to a
longer period when we have a dry spell. That doesn't work - ten days does! I
do add humus to the soil every spring, but I also put a cup of alfalfa
pellets (rabbit food) around the base of each rose each spring, cover with
an inch and a half of mulch and add another cup in mid July. Since I've
started doing that, the foliage has remained clean and a lush, dark green.
Now I wish I could figure out a way to keep those miserable cucumber beetles
and thrips from eating holes in the petals.

BTW, Don Juan is a heavy spring bloomer for me with occasional blossoms
during the heat of the summer and a minor burst of blooms when it cools in
the fall. Is that usual?

John (zone 6)

Old 11-03-2003, 11:10 AM
burl

You may have success with Dr. Earth products. We're working on a new site
focusing on safe and natural gardening at http://www.emerysgardenstore.com
and list several of the Dr.Earth products - you can read a little about it
there.

Burl

By the way, we're close to launch and I'd welcome any feedback on the site!

Old 11-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Sunflower

"will" wrote in message
Hello.

I recently planted a Don Juan climbing rose plant in my back yard.

I was wondering what is suggested in order to get the plant established
and on it's way to a healthy life.

I live in Texas, and the summers tend to get a bit hot if that makes any
difference......

Appreciate the help.......

=will=

Depending on which part of Texas you live in, Don Juan is subject to black
spot, a fungal disease. BS exists in humid areas, so if you are located in
West Texas, you may rarely experience the disease at all. If you are in East
Texas, you'll need to formulate a strategy to deal with preventing the
fungus from occuring, as you can't cure it once it's got a foot hold, but
you can prevent it from starting in the first place. There are several
alternatives to dealing with the disease, from using horticultural sulpher
or baking soda and horticultural oil combined, to using Funginex found at
your local Home Depot. Some work better than others depending on the
harshness of the disease pressure in the climate, but all require weekly
spraying to be effective. Educate yourself more about your choices by doing
research on an garden chemicals you may decide to use at Extonet.
www.extonet.com/

If you prepared the bed correctly with a lot of organic additions and are
providing plenty of water and have him planted in a site that receives at
least 6 hours of sun, he should grow moderately this year. Any first year
climber spends most of that year putting down the roots needed to support it
in later years. If the Don is from a reputable nursery and not one of the
pitiful bagged waxed hackroots, then he may already have enough roots to
support a moderate bloom this year, but nothing like he can produce in 3
years time. He will need to be tied to his support using something that
won't cut into the canes and cause damage. Old pantyhose is a pretty good
option, but don't use wire.

Two "tricks" to maximizing any rose's growth are to have a soil sample taken
and find out what your pH is and make the appropriate adjustments and to
apply alfalfa meal as a fertilizer. The first isn't overnight, but it's
absolutely necessary. Texas has a lot of alkaline soils and roses don't
really like alkaline soils. They like moderately acidic soils about 6.5 as
that is where they can take up the most nutrients. Adjust the pH so that
they don't have to work so hard to take up the necessary nutrients and they
have more energy left over with which to grow and bloom. As for the second
trick, alfalfa has a growth hormone in in, triancontrol, which stimulates
new cane production and new blooms. It can produce some amazing
results--but only if the pH isn't completely out of whack.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 12-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Maryanne

Now I wish I could figure out a way to keep those miserable cucumber

beetles
and thrips from eating holes in the petals.

BTW, Don Juan is a heavy spring bloomer for me with occasional blossoms
during the heat of the summer and a minor burst of blooms when it cools in
the fall. Is that usual?

John (zone 6)

Try underplanting with Garlic & Marigold - I found that keeps the beetles
off but not the Aphid

Old 12-03-2003, 03:57 AM
Phisherman

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 03:47:37 +0100, "Maryanne"
wrote:

Now I wish I could figure out a way to keep those miserable cucumber

beetles
and thrips from eating holes in the petals.

BTW, Don Juan is a heavy spring bloomer for me with occasional blossoms
during the heat of the summer and a minor burst of blooms when it cools in
the fall. Is that usual?

John (zone 6)

Try underplanting with Garlic & Marigold - I found that keeps the beetles
off but not the Aphid

I have a thick row of garlic in front of my Don Juan. It dies off
around late May due to the intense summer heat. The Don Juan still
gets attacked by Jap beetles and aphids, so I'm left with using a rose
systemic which is very effective. I have not found any (natural)
methods that work well, unfortunately.
Old 13-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Maryanne

Whereabouts are you - how hot is "intense heat" - garlic here grows happily
up to the high 90'sF if it gets regular water - not even a lot of it?

Old 13-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Phisherman

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:34:48 GMT

East Tennessee. Garlic comes up in January, then "dies off" in early
summer. We can get sustaining temperatures in the upper 90's in early
summer. The roses love it, though. I water the roses/garlic if we
don't get at least 1" of rain per week, and keep a thick organic mulch
over the area. The garlic is growing very well right now (day temp
low 70's, evening mid 40's). Onions, garlic, leeks, etc prefer cool
temperatures.

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 04:27:15 +0100, "Maryanne"
wrote:

Whereabouts are you - how hot is "intense heat" - garlic here grows happily
up to the high 90'sF if it gets regular water - not even a lot of it?

.. .

Old 20-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Maryanne

Maybe our garlic (indigenous to SA) is a different plant? Mine certainly
dont die off - they just sotp flowring for a short while every now & then