GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dethatch timing (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/100484-dethatch-timing.html)

Grinch 25-07-2005 10:58 PM

Dethatch timing

My lawn seems to need to be dethatched. Here in the Mid-Atlantic, we are
still in the hot season and my turf-type tall fescue is hanging on but not
thriving.

Should I do it now or wait a month or so for the cooler weather ? Seems
that less thatch might help the fescue "breathe" and minimize humidity
related problems like mold.

I'm afraid that spiking or dethatching might just help the Bermuda grass
thrive. I consider Bermuda to be a weed and it comprises between 1% and 20%
of the yard depending on the location.

Any thoughts ?

Any ideas on how to keep Bermuda in check ? I'll never get rid of it
considering the size of my lawn and the ubiquititous nature of the stuff. I
occassionally kill big areas of it and overseed.

Thanks

Steveo 25-07-2005 11:51 PM

"Grinch" wrote:
My lawn seems to need to be dethatched. Here in the Mid-Atlantic, we are
still in the hot season and my turf-type tall fescue is hanging on but
not thriving.

Should I do it now or wait a month or so for the cooler weather ? Seems
that less thatch might help the fescue "breathe" and minimize humidity
related problems like mold.

I'm afraid that spiking or dethatching might just help the Bermuda grass
thrive. I consider Bermuda to be a weed and it comprises between 1% and
20% of the yard depending on the location.

Any thoughts ?

Any ideas on how to keep Bermuda in check ? I'll never get rid of it
considering the size of my lawn and the ubiquititous nature of the stuff.
I occassionally kill big areas of it and overseed.

Thanks

I wouldn't do anything physical like de-thatching or aerating to tall
fescue if it's under any sort of summer stress. Wait till it cools off a
bit.

I dunno squat about Bermuda.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/