Old 16-08-2005, 01:02 AM
FXDWG

Default Attract Humming Birds??

I've occasionally seen Humming Birds outside my front door near the
garden. I think they're really cool, and would love to attract more.

I bought a Humming Bird feeder, which is sort of an upside down liquid
dispenser filled will with some REAL sugary sweet bright red stuff.
We haven't seen one Humming Bird.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how best to attract the
little buggers.

Thanks!
Old 16-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Stubby

FXDWG wrote:
I've occasionally seen Humming Birds outside my front door near the
garden. I think they're really cool, and would love to attract more.

I bought a Humming Bird feeder, which is sort of an upside down liquid
dispenser filled will with some REAL sugary sweet bright red stuff.
We haven't seen one Humming Bird.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how best to attract the
little buggers.

We never had any luck with the red juice and feeders. Plus, I've heard
that if you don't clean them every three days, the fluid with ferment
and poison the hummingbirds.

This year, GF planted a bee balm plant, several cosmos, lots of zennias
and we have a rosa regosa. Now we get at least one hummer every
afternoon!
Old 16-08-2005, 01:22 AM
World Traveler

"Stubby" wrote in message

FXDWG wrote:
I've occasionally seen Humming Birds outside my front door near the
garden. I think they're really cool, and would love to attract more.

I bought a Humming Bird feeder, which is sort of an upside down liquid
dispenser filled will with some REAL sugary sweet bright red stuff.
We haven't seen one Humming Bird.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how best to attract the
little buggers.

We never had any luck with the red juice and feeders. Plus, I've heard
that if you don't clean them every three days, the fluid with ferment and
poison the hummingbirds.

This year, GF planted a bee balm plant, several cosmos, lots of zennias
and we have a rosa regosa. Now we get at least one hummer every
afternoon!

Agree -- in this area (Central Florida) we've planted firebush (hamelia
patens), salvia gregii and salvia coccinea and have as many as five
hummingbirds at a time. We also see them regularly feeding in the Hong Kong
orchid tree (bauhinia blakeiana). We put some of salvia in pots right next
to the LR window (tinted) and the hummingbirds come right up to the window
to feed, so you can sit no more than 2 feet away from them and watch.
Hummingbirds here are supposed to be migratory and only around in the spring
and fall, but ours have stayed through all four seasons. Regards --

Old 16-08-2005, 01:49 AM
James

It make take a week or so to get them to start coming to a new feeder.
That has been my experience.

--James--

Old 16-08-2005, 02:35 AM

use a 4 to 1 ratio of sugar water, along with a dash of vanilla
extract and you will have so many that it sounds like a bees nest when
you are outside around them.

Old 16-08-2005, 01:38 PM

use one cup of water to 1/4 cup of sugar and boil it for one minute
while stirring. hummers allready have located the feeders in the spring
so it may take a while for them to notice it. change it at least every
5-7 days . when you start getting some, hang another feeder out of sight
of the other as the males tend to drive the females off of one
feeder.red bell shaped objects attract their attention. lucas

Old 18-08-2005, 11:04 PM
shawnandcathy

We've had a lot of luck with 2 cups water/ 1 cup sugar. Because most
hummingbird feeders have red on them it is not necessary to use the red dye.
I also shake the feeder every day to release the trapped bubbles and get
good flow through the feeder holes. Make sure you hang the feeder at least
5 feet high in the open and near trees. Most of ours take a drink and then
dash to the end of branches for a rest. We also have garden phlox, bee balm
and many other flowers nearby for attraction. Don't forget to change out
solution every 5-7 days to keep it fresh. This year we have had up to six
at one time and it keeps us entertained as they dive bomb and chase each
other all over the yard and create quite a chatter (yes they chatter like
squirrels!)

Old 21-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Mel M Kelly

Those feeders don't work very well. Get one with a bottle upsidedown and
little plastic flowers around the bottom. Mix 1 part sugar and 4 parts
water and bring to a boil and add just enough cherry cool-aid to make it
pink. We are going through 7 to 10 lbs of sugar a week. We have 4
feeders out and fill them 2 and 3 times a day. I am going to try to take
them off on my taxes. HA!

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 21-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Gntry

One part sugar to four parts water is the correct ratio, but you don't need
to add any coloring to the mixture, red food coloring isn't good for them,
and think of it...necter in the wild is clear. And you don't have to boil
the water either( I use to always boil, now I don't and it stays just as
fresh) theres a great newgroup, if your server allows; rec.birds
Give it a look.
CG in NY
"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
Those feeders don't work very well. Get one with a bottle upsidedown and
little plastic flowers around the bottom. Mix 1 part sugar and 4 parts
water and bring to a boil and add just enough cherry cool-aid to make it
pink. We are going through 7 to 10 lbs of sugar a week. We have 4
feeders out and fill them 2 and 3 times a day. I am going to try to take
them off on my taxes. HA!

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 21-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Mel M Kelly

The cherry cool-aid is not for color it is for taste and smell - they go
crazy over it.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 21-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Mel M Kelly

Also when you boil it the sugar doesn't settle to the bottom in the
feeders. But if you want more hummers try puting just enough Cherry
cool-aid to turn it pink and that is not for the color they love it.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

First humming birds Bob Texas 2 17-03-2008 10:07 PM
Humming Birds Richard Miller Gardening 34 13-10-2005 05:05 AM
Backyard small trees/plant suggestions to attract song birds? sams Gardening 3 06-01-2004 12:36 AM
how can i attract birds...that eat flying insects Gardening 10 02-06-2003 03:44 PM
humming birds sited Betty Highfill North Carolina 0 25-04-2003 11:20 PM