GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Briggs 3.75 motor (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/101635-briggs-3-75-motor.html)

Mel M Kelly 21-08-2005 02:56 PM

Briggs 3.75 motor

I have a Briggs on a MTD mower about 2 years. When you start it it runs
like the choke is on. It has the little primer bulb. It is running way
to rich but there is no adjustment on the carb. In fact the carb is more
or less sealed. I have put in fresh gas and changed the plug. Any ideas?

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

[email protected] 22-08-2005 02:52 AM

if its the kind of engine that has the gas tank bolted to the bottom of
the carb, the the rubber gasket between the tank and carb needs to be
replaced,. its called a carb diaphram.ive fixed many doing what yours is
doing .youll need the engine model and spec number stamped on the
sheetmetal covering the top of the motor to get it or just take the old
gasket with you to match up..lucas

Mel M Kelly 22-08-2005 02:35 PM

I took it apart and seen the rubber gasket you are talking about, I
cleaned it and put it back together and it is running good now. Must
have been a speck of dirt somewhere - THANKS - If it does it again I
will get a kit.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

[email protected] 22-08-2005 06:11 PM

that rubber gasket isnt just a gasket, it pumps fuel.if it get
stretched or distorted it acts up,pumps to much or pumps to little.
lucas

Roger2005b 17-04-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 551923)
if its the kind of engine that has the gas tank bolted to the bottom of
the carb, the the rubber gasket between the tank and carb needs to be
replaced,. its called a carb diaphram.ive fixed many doing what yours is
doing .youll need the engine model and spec number stamped on the
sheetmetal covering the top of the motor to get it or just take the old
gasket with you to match up..lucas

I had the problem of slow running, "hunting" and running as if the choke was permanently on with my Briggs Stratton 375 lawnmower engine. This fix is great and solved my problem immediately. It now runs as new. I did not have spare gaskets but cleaned up the existing ones which appeared undamaged but I will now get spares in case the problem re-occurs.
Thanks for such useful advice

*Mechanic* 26-04-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger2005b (Post 883830)
I had the problem of slow running, "hunting" and running as if the choke was permanently on with my Briggs Stratton 375 lawnmower engine. This fix is great and solved my problem immediately. It now runs as new. I did not have spare gaskets but cleaned up the existing ones which appeared undamaged but I will now get spares in case the problem re-occurs.
Thanks for such useful advice

Briggs & Stratton Carburetor Diaphragm Kit - Lawnmower World