GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/101792-plant-id.html)

Tom Scott 24-08-2005 12:39 PM

Plant ID

I was at a friend's house recently and they had a type of jew that had very
small, dark green leaves and the plant was real bushy and full and looked
great cascading down in a hanging basket. We've started up a greenhouse and
they gave us a small sample to root but we need to know the real name of the
plant.

They said it was called a "baby jew" or "afro jew" and they'd never heard it
called anything else. I've looked and looked under those names and can't
find anything. I saw a description for one type of jew that was close, but
without seeing a real plant I couldn't tell. I have asked at a couple
other houses and they didn't know the plant by either of those names.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

willshak 24-08-2005 07:19 PM

On 8/24/2005 7:39 AM US(ET), Tom Scott took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

I was at a friend's house recently and they had a type of jew that had very
small, dark green leaves and the plant was real bushy and full and looked
great cascading down in a hanging basket. We've started up a greenhouse and
they gave us a small sample to root but we need to know the real name of the
plant.

They said it was called a "baby jew" or "afro jew" and they'd never heard it
called anything else. I've looked and looked under those names and can't
find anything. I saw a description for one type of jew that was close, but
without seeing a real plant I couldn't tell. I have asked at a couple
other houses and they didn't know the plant by either of those names.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

I don't know if it is politically correct, but the name I know is
Wandering Jew.
See he http://www.denverplants.com/foliage/html/jewzeb.htm

--
Bill

Tom Scott 24-08-2005 10:04 PM

"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

*********

Wandering Jew is what normally turns up, but the leaves on the one I'm
looking for are TINY in comparision--maybe the size of a dime.

Best,

Tom