Old 14-03-2003, 03:32 PM
David K

Default bent crankshaft

Anyone know if replacing a bent crankshaft on a Honda lawnmower engine is a
do-it-yourself project?
Honda 4-cycle engine model # GCV-160-A1AE on a Craftsman lawn mower #
917.377700

(By the way, the mower is a lousy mulcher, but it is too new to consider
replacing the mower.)

Thanks.

--
David

Old 15-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Dr. Doctor

it will be a big job, you will need special tools,( torque wrenches a must)
being this is a overhead camshaft unit unless you have some experience in
doing this type of work and the proper service info I would not recommend
it. Just to split the oil pan off the block is tricky from the way it is
made and sealed. If you are not careful you may damage either part and could
price the repair over the cost of a new unit. Take it to the pros if they
screw it up in fixing it that will be there cost not yours.

Old 15-03-2003, 02:08 AM

"David K" wrote:
Anyone know if replacing a bent crankshaft on a Honda lawnmower engine is
a do-it-yourself project?
Honda 4-cycle engine model # GCV-160-A1AE on a Craftsman lawn mower #
917.377700

(By the way, the mower is a lousy mulcher, but it is too new to consider
replacing the mower.)

Thanks.

Have you considered buying a new or reconditioned engine?

--
Go#40 42 12
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 16-03-2003, 01:56 PM
ufomuse

David K wrote:

Anyone know if replacing a bent crankshaft on a Honda lawnmower engine is a
do-it-yourself project?
Honda 4-cycle engine model # GCV-160-A1AE on a Craftsman lawn mower #
917.377700

(By the way, the mower is a lousy mulcher, but it is too new to consider
replacing the mower.)

you can't hurt it nownow, your engine is shot. if you have lots of time and
some Small Engine Repair manuals and feel adventerous, you could probably
repair it yourself ... if the crank shaft is bent you might end up having to
replace the whole crankshaft if you have to regrind it too much. .

but

Old 16-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Dr. Doctor

where do you get your info from???
"you can't hurt it known, your engine is shot." the engine is not shot but
it can be real quick by trying to fix it.

" if the crank shaft is bent you might end up having to
replace the whole crankshaft if you have to regrind it too much"

when you have a bent crankshaft regrinding wont help it.
when you regrind a crank it is to repair a damaged bearing surface when you
are talking about small engine. (yes in larger engines it is different)
after regrinding it you will need to change the other parts (con-rod , end
bearings parts like that) so the new size of the crankshaft will fit and
the last time I checked this model does not offer that options for teh
related parts to regrind. Also the cost of a new crankshaft makes the cost
of regrinding it (plus the related parts to fit the crankshaft after
regrinding) not practical. so the only practical repair is replacing the
crankshaft.
Dont ruin what you have take it to a shop and get it fixed properly.

Old 30-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Registered User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Anyone know if replacing a bent crankshaft on a Honda lawnmower engine is a
do-it-yourself project?
Honda 4-cycle engine model # GCV-160-A1AE on a Craftsman lawn mower #
917.377700

(By the way, the mower is a lousy mulcher, but it is too new to consider
replacing the mower.)

Thanks.

--
David
I had the same problem with a GCV 135 engine. I found a local repeir shop in Wigan who have the equipment to straighten the shaft insitu. I had to leave the engine with them as it was a 12 hour process.
Well worth the 30 quid it cost me.
Cheers
Art
Old 22-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyArty View Post
I had the same problem with a GCV 135 engine. I found a local repeir shop in Wigan who have the equipment to straighten the shaft insitu. I had to leave the engine with them as it was a 12 hour process.
Well worth the 30 quid it cost me.
Cheers
Art

Im not so far away in preston and i have had the same problem, who did you use?

Spaghetti Squash bent on world domination. DigitalVinyl Edible Gardening 5 23-06-2004 03:02 AM
bent grass-bent out of shape Danno Lawns 3 27-10-2003 02:02 PM
bent crankshaft David K Lawns 5 05-05-2003 11:58 PM
Ice-bent trees Doug Bradley North Carolina 2 01-05-2003 06:46 PM
Ice-bent trees Doug Bradley North Carolina 0 24-03-2003 07:32 PM