Old 13-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Lil' Dave

"Betsy" wrote in message
Thanks. It has a primer bulb. I push it about 10 times (at his
suggestion). I used to only have to push it 3 times. It smells gassy

when
I pull it and it doesn't start. I have wondered if I flooded it, so have
come back and tried to start it without pushing the bulb. No dice.

He maintains the plug is fine. I witnessed him start it several times
today. He has no problem. But he is a lot stronger than me. But I used

have no problem with it, either. I just don't get it.

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Betsy wrote:
My lawnmower has been on the fritz all summer. It started cutting out
when it was running. I took it to the local neighborhood guy (he has a
landscaping business & fixes mowers on the side) and he "tuned it up"

and
etc. and it ran fine. For awhile.

Then the pull rope broke. I replaced it. It ran fine.

Then a couple weeks later it became difficult to start. As in 15-20
pulls and a shoulder almost out of joint trying. And when it was

turned
off it wouldn't start again.

I took it back. He said it was the starter, and replaced it. Cost $80
for that and a wheel lock which was broken.

I took it home. I couldn't start it. I took it back. He said it was
fine--he could start it on the third pull. Sometimes the first.

Meantime I'd borrowed my neighbor's mower which was indeed possible for
me to start on the first pull. In fact, I often didn't even have to

pull
the rope out all the way.

I still can't start mine and am at my wits end. I think he doesn't

know
how to fix it, and doesn't see the problem. He says "its old" and like
old things & people is now more difficult to start. I can't agree.

Oh, and by the way, he let me try to start his lawn mower. I had no
trouble. The rope gives a lot of resistance, but you can feel it
engaging the motor. I don't get that kind of feedback from mine.

Yet he insists there is nothing wrong with mine.

Does anybody have any ideas before I take it to another repair shop and
have to pay another $80? I am pretty strong, but unwilling to destroy

my
arm yanking on this crank.

When was the last time you replaced the spark plug? Maybe it's time to

do
so again.

Does it smell "gassy" when you pull it over and it doesn't start? If it
doesn't by the third or fourth pull then if it has a choke, that isn't
working, or if it doesn't have one but uses a primer bulb you press two

or
three times, that isn't doing it's thing.

Try buying a spray can of automobile "starter fluid" and spray some into
the air cleaner, then try and start it. If it fires right up, then you
have a choke or primer problem.

Let us know what works and doesn't,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Am new to the newgroup, so that's why the tardiness for a reply.

If the engine is flooded, remove the spark plug and air filter. (if the
engine valves are in the wrong position, the fuel can't dissipate in the
engine) Walk away for about a half hour. Reassemble. Give it a few
cranks. If doesn't start, prime per manufacturer's recommendations.

A new spark plug is always the first step with starting problems. Always
keep a new one in the garage. If your lawn is a bit dusty, maybe the air
filter is the culprit. Clean and oil the filter. Don't use old gas, over a
month old including what's in the lawnmower's tank from the last mowing. If
you've had a lot of rain and heavy morning fog and dew, could be water in
the gas tank from condensation. Check the refill gas container for water
droplets. Remove and dump the contents of the gas tank. Wash it out with a
few ounces of charcoal lighter fluid. Let it dry for a day. Use a spray
drying agent to assure its dry. Reassemble and fill the tank with new,
uncontaminated gas.

Old 13-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:05:42 GMT, "Lil' Dave"
wrote:

Am new to the newgroup

Which explains the cross posting, and excessively long un trimmed
quotes....

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold

Old 14-06-2006, 02:50 AM
Registered User

Searching fo other info, I stumbled across this post. Had a problem after hitting a rock which over time caused the engine to become more difficult to start. Turns out the flywheel key (which controls the flywheel position and therefore timing, was sheared and after replacing this $1 part, the engine starts on first pull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
Thanks, Dave. Much appreciated.

"Lil' Dave" wrote in message