Old 05-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Betsy

Default need help with lawnmower

My lawnmower has been on the fritz all summer. It started cutting out when
it was running. I took it to the local neighborhood guy (he has a
landscaping business & fixes mowers on the side) and he "tuned it up" and
etc. and it ran fine. For awhile.

Then the pull rope broke. I replaced it. It ran fine.

Then a couple weeks later it became difficult to start. As in 15-20 pulls
and a shoulder almost out of joint trying. And when it was turned off it
wouldn't start again.

I took it back. He said it was the starter, and replaced it. Cost $80 for
that and a wheel lock which was broken.

I took it home. I couldn't start it. I took it back. He said it was
fine--he could start it on the third pull. Sometimes the first.

Meantime I'd borrowed my neighbor's mower which was indeed possible for me
to start on the first pull. In fact, I often didn't even have to pull the
rope out all the way.

I still can't start mine and am at my wits end. I think he doesn't know how
to fix it, and doesn't see the problem. He says "its old" and like old
things & people is now more difficult to start. I can't agree.

Oh, and by the way, he let me try to start his lawn mower. I had no
trouble. The rope gives a lot of resistance, but you can feel it engaging
the motor. I don't get that kind of feedback from mine.

Yet he insists there is nothing wrong with mine.

Does anybody have any ideas before I take it to another repair shop and have
to pay another $80? I am pretty strong, but unwilling to destroy my arm
yanking on this crank.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Savvy 1

"Betsy" wrote in message
[...]

Brand, model, age, size of mower and engine?

Old 05-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Jeff Wisnia

Betsy wrote:
[...]

When was the last time you replaced the spark plug? Maybe it's time to
do so again.

Does it smell "gassy" when you pull it over and it doesn't start? If it
doesn't by the third or fourth pull then if it has a choke, that isn't
working, or if it doesn't have one but uses a primer bulb you press two
or three times, that isn't doing it's thing.

Try buying a spray can of automobile "starter fluid" and spray some into
the air cleaner, then try and start it. If it fires right up, then you
have a choke or primer problem.

Let us know what works and doesn't,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old 05-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Betsy

Thanks. It has a primer bulb. I push it about 10 times (at his
suggestion). I used to only have to push it 3 times. It smells gassy when
I pull it and it doesn't start. I have wondered if I flooded it, so have
come back and tried to start it without pushing the bulb. No dice.

He maintains the plug is fine. I witnessed him start it several times
today. He has no problem. But he is a lot stronger than me. But I used to
have no problem with it, either. I just don't get it.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Betsy" wrote in message

Oh, and by the way, he let me try to start his lawn mower. I had no
trouble. The rope gives a lot of resistance, but you can feel it engaging
the motor. I don't get that kind of feedback from mine.

Yet he insists there is nothing wrong with mine.

Does anybody have any ideas before I take it to another repair shop and
have to pay another $80? I am pretty strong, but unwilling to destroy my
arm yanking on this crank.

He said it is old, and he may be right. If you are not getting much
resistance, it could be because there is not enough compression, meaning it
is old, and worn. Add to that an old plug, weak magneto = no start. could
be a few other things also. Just how old is it? What engine?

Old 05-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Betsy

It's not very old--2000. And the lawnmower he owns is 15 years old, and
started easily. There is a lot more initial resistance on the starter rope,
but give it a good pull and it engages the engine.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

Old 05-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Steve B.

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:22:12 -0400, "Betsy" wrote:

It's not very old--2000. And the lawnmower he owns is 15 years old, and
started easily. There is a lot more initial resistance on the starter rope,
but give it a good pull and it engages the engine.

From your description it sounds like the engine in your lawn mower is
worn. As the engine wears compression is reduced which causes you to
have to pull the rope harder or faster than you had to when the engine
was new. The only practical solution to this is to replace the motor.
It can be repaired but with parts and labor prices being what they are
it is often just cheaper to replace it.

Several have suggested that you use automotive starting fluid. This
is an excellent suggestion and will probably get you several more
years out of this mower. Just spray some starting fluid in the air
filter and pull the rope. Should start up like a charm.

Steve B.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Betsy

I'll try it. Where do I get it--Pep boys, etc.? Is it called "automotive
starting fluid"? When you say "in the air filter" is that on the filter
itself, when removed (haven't done that yet) or in the housing when the
filter is removed, or where. Sounds very mystifying to me. Is there a web
page that might have a diagram?

Thanks.

"Steve B." wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:22:12 -0400, "Betsy" wrote:

It's not very old--2000. And the lawnmower he owns is 15 years old, and
started easily. There is a lot more initial resistance on the starter
rope,
but give it a good pull and it engages the engine.

From your description it sounds like the engine in your lawn mower is

Old 05-09-2005, 11:01 PM
John H.

"Betsy" wrote in message
[...]

I've had the same problem but in my case the gas was old, may have had
water in it. If you dont close the
seal tight, condensation will foul the fuel.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Betsy" wrote in message
Thanks. It has a primer bulb. I push it about 10 times (at his
suggestion). I used to only have to push it 3 times. It smells gassy
when I pull it and it doesn't start. I have wondered if I flooded it, so
have come back and tried to start it without pushing the bulb. No dice.

Behind the bulb is a small tube that the gas flows through. These tubes
deteriorate. Replace it.
Also start with a full tank of gas - makes it easier to suck the gas up.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Betsy" wrote in message
My lawnmower has been on the fritz all summer. It started cutting out
when it was running. I took it to the local neighborhood guy (he has a
landscaping business & fixes mowers on the side) and he "tuned it up" and
etc. and it ran fine. For awhile.

Then the pull rope broke. I replaced it. It ran fine.

Then a couple weeks later it became difficult to start. As in 15-20 pulls
and a shoulder almost out of joint trying. And when it was turned off it
wouldn't start again.

I took it back. He said it was the starter, and replaced it. Cost $80
for that and a wheel lock which was broken.

The "starter" ??? Doesn't make sense if this is a "pull start" machine.
Unless he meant the recoil starter - the spring loaded mechanism that holds
your pull cord.
Maybe the "cogs" are not engaging - this would account for why he can start
it and you can't. Before actually pulling, give a quick tug on the rope to
engage the "cogs" - make it a short tug and you shouls quickly feel
resistance.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:06 PM
ameijers

"Betsy" wrote in message
Thanks. It has a primer bulb. I push it about 10 times (at his
suggestion). I used to only have to push it 3 times. It smells gassy

when
I pull it and it doesn't start. I have wondered if I flooded it, so have
come back and tried to start it without pushing the bulb. No dice.

He maintains the plug is fine. I witnessed him start it several times
today. He has no problem. But he is a lot stronger than me. But I used

have no problem with it, either. I just don't get it.

A plug is less than 5 bucks, and the wrench to change it yourself is another
5, if you don't have one already. Any of the big-box places will have them.
Need to know engine size, brand, and year. If you can see any numbers on the
old plug, write them down, or if you have a wrench, take the old plug with
you. I'd definitely try that before spending more money elsewhere. It can't
hurt, and it may help.

aem sends...

Old 05-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Charles

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:07:40 -0400, "Betsy" wrote:
(snip)

Does anybody have any ideas before I take it to another repair shop and have
to pay another $80? I am pretty strong, but unwilling to destroy my arm
yanking on this crank.

that sort of thing is why I went to a battery powered electric.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:18 AM
Steve B.

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:59:59 -0400, "Betsy" wrote:

I'll try it. Where do I get it--Pep boys, etc.? Is it called "automotive
starting fluid"? When you say "in the air filter" is that on the filter
itself, when removed (haven't done that yet) or in the housing when the
filter is removed, or where. Sounds very mystifying to me. Is there a web
page that might have a diagram?

Thanks.

It is called "Starting Fluid" and is available in the auto department
of most any store that has an auto department. It is a typical spray
can and costs a couple of bucks.

You haven't told us what kind of mower you have (and it probably
wouldn't help much if you did) but you air filter has an opening
somewhere that it pulls the air in from. Spray wherever the air will
be sucked in. Not tooo much... just a coupe seconds.

I have an old mower myself that absolutely will not start without
starting fluid but starts on half a pull with it.

Steve B.