Old 11-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Andrea

Default Poinsettia advice

Hi all!

I'm needing advice on what next to do with my poinsettia, please

I have successfully transplanted my poinsettia into my garden. Here she has
grown beautifully for the last 3 or 4 years.
I live in South Africa, so our climate is a bit different - winter June to
August!
Therefore my poinsettia has done its flowering and now as we go into a hot
spring I need to know what next - as normally she would have been hit by
frost and I would have trimmed her right down and she would have "started"
all over again.

But I had no frost this past winter so she is still in beautiful bloom with
the oldest flowers already turning back to green.

My question is: do I prune, trim her in any way now or leave her? She is
huge! And growing a little awkwardly into a pathway. I do not know anything
about pruning!
My crude way of cutting her frosted bits off previously would probably be
frowned upon by any experienced gardener LOL
I think I have just been very lucky with this plant and her positioning.

It just seems such a shame to trim her now as I would end up with odd
looking wooden stems and no leaves or flowers?

Please advise!

Thank you
Andrea