Old 11-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Teala Anderson

Default fence repair

need to consider some alternatives to replacing a shadowbox built-in-place cedar fence

I want to continue to have a cedar fence, so metal replacement it not a consideration

other than tearing the whole thing apart and building a new one, couple questions
(will think of more later)

1. are there any specific tools (other than a hammer) to make removal of old nails
easier if I wish to remove old boards where the posts are good and nail new boards on
(am asking specifically about making removal of the old boards easier)

2. if a post is wobbly but wood is good, can a new cemeted post be placed next to it
to secure the post

3. will regular home depot or lowes cedar boards work or do they come in different
quality grades

anything else I should consider to make repairs easier?

Old 12-09-2005, 01:53 AM
Tom J

"Teala Anderson" wrote in message
need to consider some alternatives to replacing a shadowbox
built-in-place cedar fence

I want to continue to have a cedar fence, so metal replacement it
not a consideration

other than tearing the whole thing apart and building a new one,
couple questions
(will think of more later)

1. are there any specific tools (other than a hammer) to make
removal of old nails
easier if I wish to remove old boards where the posts are good and
nail new boards on

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...4+112654 4734

This is by far the best nail puller money can buy. I have one that is
over 50 years old and still works as good as new. The pincher jaws go
on each side of the nail head & then a bump or 2 with the telescoping
weighted handle sets the pinchers under the head of the nail. Then
it's just a matter of pulling on the handle to lift the nail out. For
long nails I always have 1" & 2" short boards for spacers under the
bar. When you see one at your local hardware you'll understand more
how it works.

Tom J

Old 12-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Keith Warren

"Teala Anderson" wrote in message
need to consider some alternatives to replacing a shadowbox built-in-place

cedar fence

I want to continue to have a cedar fence, so metal replacement it not a

consideration

other than tearing the whole thing apart and building a new one, couple

questions
(will think of more later)

1. are there any specific tools (other than a hammer) to make removal of

old nails
easier if I wish to remove old boards where the posts are good and nail

new boards on
(am asking specifically about making removal of the old boards easier)

Double ended nail puller available at most home repair locations for $9-$15
AKA Cat's Claw

2. if a post is wobbly but wood is good, can a new cemeted post be placed

next to it
to secure the post

Depends on whether the old post was cemented in and whether you can get a
new one close enough and stabilized. Me, I'm anal...I'd take the old one out
and put a new one in it's place for stability and aestetic purposes.

3. will regular home depot or lowes cedar boards work or do they come in

different
quality grades

Depends on what you have currently, but for a repair job, this should work.

anything else I should consider to make repairs easier?

Nail gun and friends to help and/or keep beer replenished.