GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato Worm! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/104570-tomato-worm.html)

geezer 12-09-2005 07:31 PM

Tomato Worm!

My deck growing tomatoes (in pots) are nearing their end - and I see
several some 2"-long green 'worms' with white things on their back and
two little black eyes that stare at me while they are chomping away.

I never had these before, b ut then I never tired pots before. What
should I use next year if I have the same problem?

Thanks

Doug Kanter 12-09-2005 09:04 PM

Pick them off, kill them, and enjoy your day. You may not see those worms
again for 10 years, Or, you might. It's got nothing to do with growing in
pots. Don't freak out and start buying all sorts of chemicals, either.

FDR 13-09-2005 07:11 AM

"geezer" wrote in message
My deck growing tomatoes (in pots) are nearing their end - and I see
several some 2"-long green 'worms' with white things on their back and
two little black eyes that stare at me while they are chomping away.

I never had these before, b ut then I never tired pots before. What
should I use next year if I have the same problem?

Thanks

It's a hornworm, and the white things are where a wasp or yellow jacket has
laid it's eggs in a parasitic fashion. Kill it and move on.

David Raleigh Arnold 13-09-2005 04:17 PM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:31:08 +0000, geezer wrote:

My deck growing tomatoes (in pots) are nearing their end - and I see
several some 2"-long green 'worms' with white things on their back and two
little black eyes that stare at me while they are chomping away.

Do not kill the ones with lots of eggs on them that are already
weakened. You want a new generation of wasps to help control
the hornworms. Kill the healthy ones. They are voracious, and
they will grow to four inches long. daveA

--
The only technical exercises for all guitarists worth a lifetime
of practice: "Dynamic Guitar Technique". Nothing else is close.

Mel M Kelly 13-09-2005 11:35 PM

David got it right 100%. Take the ones with eggs on them off the
tomatoes but don't kill them the eggs will do that and will be there
next year to help protect your tomatoes.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

geezer 14-09-2005 11:08 AM

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:17:18 -0400, David Raleigh Arnold
wrote:

Do not kill the ones with lots of eggs on them that are already
weakened. You want a new generation of wasps to help control
the hornworms. Kill the healthy ones. They are voracious, and
they will grow to four inches long. daveA

I hope this is a joke - really. That's all I need is a 'generation'
of wasps. I gotta research all this a little.

Thanks\

Doug Kanter 14-09-2005 12:03 PM

wrote:

Do not kill the ones with lots of eggs on them that are already
weakened. You want a new generation of wasps to help control
the hornworms. Kill the healthy ones. They are voracious, and
they will grow to four inches long. daveA

I hope this is a joke - really. That's all I need is a 'generation'
of wasps. I gotta research all this a little.

Thanks\

I've seen exactly 2 tomato hornworms in 25 years of growing tomatoes. And,
I'm out there constantly. I'd definitely notice. Lighten up. This is
probably the easiest pest you'll ever have to deal with. At least they're
big enough to see, and they move slowly enough to deal with.

G Henslee 14-09-2005 03:44 PM

FDR wrote:
"geezer" wrote in message

It's a hornworm, and the white things are where a wasp or yellow jacket has
laid it's eggs in a parasitic fashion. Kill it and move on.

Zackly what should have been done with the parasitic Slick Willy & Mrs.
As it is their planning a re-infestation.

Oscar_Lives 14-09-2005 03:57 PM

"G Henslee" wrote in message
FDR wrote:
"geezer" wrote in message

It's a hornworm, and the white things are where a wasp or yellow jacket
has laid it's eggs in a parasitic fashion. Kill it and move on.

Zackly what should have been done with the parasitic Slick Willy & Mrs. As
it is their planning a re-infestation.

Maybe we can get Arnold to TERMINATE them before they get any more pestier!

Steveo 14-09-2005 11:54 PM

"Oscar_Lives" wrote:
Maybe we can get Arnold to TERMINATE them before they get any more
pestier!

"I'll be back"!

David Raleigh Arnold 19-09-2005 04:53 PM

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:17:18 -0400, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

A *perfectly* apropos link:

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/ext...s/hornworm.htm

Steveo 30-09-2005 11:51 AM

Tony Randall wrote:
or you can do what steveo does and jerk off on them about 5 times a day
and one right before bed...

I'm not accepting any new pets at this time, portland tony, so stop humping
my leg and run along now.