GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   picking a small tree in Austin Texas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/10508-picking-small-tree-austin-texas.html)

James 15-03-2003 05:32 PM

picking a small tree in Austin Texas

I need some help picking a tree that will hide a 4 foot chain
link fence (about 30 feet in lenght). I was thinking crate
mertyls...but being from the north I thought I'd ask for suggestions.
Something economical would be great. TIA for any help I receive.

please remove the ~

James

Markeau 19-03-2003 01:44 AM

picking a small tree in Austin Texas

I don't think a crepe myrtle would hide much, they have small leaves
and don't seem to bush much. I had an oleander by my apartment back
porch in Austin that I watered a lot (the automated sprinklers did not
reach to it) with a hose and it got huge (at least 8ft) and bushy even
the next season after the apt maintenance crew cut it down to just 2
or 3 feet during the prev winter (and it withstood very hard freezes,
too). It might bush more horizontally if you prune the top.