Old 15-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Jack Pohler

Default 21 inch Lawn Mower Question

Anyone know why all walk-behind lawnmowers seem to have a 21 inch cut? I'm
in the market for a new mower and thought that if I could find a mower with
a wider blade, I could finish faster. It seems that 21 inch is "the
standard". I'm not sure why.

Jack

Old 15-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Dr. Doctor

good question but here is my reasoning not sure if it is the case but I
think it has to do with mowers now having mulch capiblites (the wider the
mower the more grass and the harder to mulch properly) . It may also be
with the longer the blade the faster the blade tip speed is thus you have to
set the max rpm of the engine lower to keep withing standards (blade tip
speed is set by standards for safety) so a 21" blade can have higher rpm
then a 22" blade to keep the blade tip speed within standards. the higher
the rpms the faster the inner part of the blade spins where it cuts the
grass 2nd & 3rd times for mulching so again it helps with that. So as i said
not sure if that is that is why it also may be that 21" mowers are
manufacture top selling models and that is why.

Old 16-03-2003, 03:56 AM
hank@shenandoah

did you ever think its a lot of old men & young boys out here that have
to push that big mower

Old 16-03-2003, 12:56 PM
ufomuse

Jack Pohler wrote:

Anyone know why all walk-behind lawnmowers seem to have a 21 inch cut? I'm
in the market for a new mower and thought that if I could find a mower with
a wider blade, I could finish faster. It seems that 21 inch is "the
standard". I'm not sure why.

Jack

I see this guy who mows the grass at an apartment complex and must have atleast
a 50 inch wide cut. but I think it is a rolling blade type. quite a bit bigger
then a regular size push mower and looks like it has powered wheels too.

Old 16-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Jack Pohler

My neighbor owns a landscape maintanence company and has several of these
big nowers. He mows a lot for grass in a short time. I questioned him
about buying one of these units used. He told me that by the time these
commercial units reach the used market, they were probably much more "used"
than I would want. The idea of mowing more grass in less time while still
getting some exercise still strikes me as a desireable option. If a 30" cut
works for a rider, why wouldn't it work on a self-powered walk-behind
model.Maybe some manufacturer will see this post. I know one person who
would be interested in model like this.

Old 16-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Judy and Dave G

"Jack Pohler" wrote in message
snippage

If a 30" cut
works for a rider, why wouldn't it work on a self-powered walk-behind
model.Maybe some manufacturer will see this post. I know one person who
would be interested in model like this.

Hi Jack

Have you ever looked at the DR Mower? It is expensive, very. But we have
had ours for 10 years now and have only needed to change oil and replace
belts. Everytime my Dave uses it he says he keeps forgetting how much he
likes the mower.

We have the Field and Brush Mower. It will take a 42" (ours takes 46")
mower attachment.

We have 60 acres with a lot of hillside with a lot of weeds. We use it as a
field and brush and don't have the mower attachment. But our satisfaction
with this company would allow me to not even hesitate recommending it!

Judy

Old 17-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Jack Pohler

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I checked out their site. These are heavy-duty mowers and the cost would be
in the neighborhood of a commercial mower. I was hoping for something
between the ordinary homeowner and a commercial machine.

Old 17-03-2003, 02:20 AM

"Jack Pohler" wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I checked out their site. These are heavy-duty mowers and the cost would
be in the neighborhood of a commercial mower. I was hoping for something
between the ordinary homeowner and a commercial machine.

Forgive me if you've answered this already,how many sq ft of grass are you
cutting?

--
Go#40 42 12
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 17-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Jack Pohler

I'm not exactly sure how much. With my current mower it takes me about 30
min. If I can cut that down to 20 min without a huge investment, I'd like
to do that. If not, 30 min is fine. As you can see, it's not a big deal
for me. While looking at available models, I noticed that all of them are
21". I wondered why.

I did find a Snapper model that is 26". It's about $150 more than a top end
21" end John Deere model. I am thinking about it.

Old 18-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Chip Stein

"Jack Pohler" wrote in message news:g49da.133403$S_4.76801@rwcrnsc53...
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I checked out their site. These are heavy-duty mowers and the cost would be
in the neighborhood of a commercial mower. I was hoping for something
between the ordinary homeowner and a commercial machine.

snapper has been making a 26" homeowner unit for a couple of years
now. yazoo had many large homeowner units at one time.
Chip