Old 02-10-2005, 02:20 AM
John

Default Pure seed

Is it possible or even desirable to buy one breed of grass ? I was
thinking about putting in Thermal Blue after this summers brown-out of
my lawn but I read the package contents for Scotts Pure Premium
Heat-Tolerant Blue Grass Seed and noted that it's in fact only 10%
Thermal Blue and the rest is Tall Fescue.

JD
Old 02-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Stubby

John wrote:
Is it possible or even desirable to buy one breed of grass ? I was
thinking about putting in Thermal Blue after this summers brown-out of
my lawn but I read the package contents for Scotts Pure Premium
Heat-Tolerant Blue Grass Seed and noted that it's in fact only 10%
Thermal Blue and the rest is Tall Fescue.

I've never had good luck with Scotts seed. I don't know why. But Tall
Fescue has worked well. Lofts Rebel II is what I patch with and it seems
to have stayed fairly green here in the Boston burbs even though the
Summer has been dry. I've been hearing Jonathan Green's Black Beauty
advertised and bought 5 lb for patching.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Midwest Div

Certainly it's possible, but not desirable. The advantage with a blend is
that certain grasses do well in sun, some in shade, some weather better in
drought, while others do better when cool and wet. A single grass may
completely die off by disease where with a blend some will die and be
replaced by others.

BTW, I would pass on any seed that has a lot of tall fescue; it's rank. Talk
with you local county agriculture agent as to what he would recommend for
your area (soil type and weather conditions).

Old 03-10-2005, 08:18 PM
scott(remove_to_reply)

Stubby wrote:
John wrote:

Is it possible or even desirable to buy one breed of grass ? I was
thinking about putting in Thermal Blue after this summers brown-out of
my lawn but I read the package contents for Scotts Pure Premium
Heat-Tolerant Blue Grass Seed and noted that it's in fact only 10%
Thermal Blue and the rest is Tall Fescue.

I've never had good luck with Scotts seed. I don't know why. But Tall
Fescue has worked well. Lofts Rebel II is what I patch with and it seems
to have stayed fairly green here in the Boston burbs even though the
Summer has been dry. I've been hearing Jonathan Green's Black Beauty
advertised and bought 5 lb for patching.

I have also had very good results with a southern facing lawn using the
Rebel II blend after a severe drought in Southern NJ a couple years ago.
I seeded a new lawn from scratch after having some topsoil delivered.
I only water when needed after the roots got going. I'm too lazy to
be dragging the hose around the lawn every day and the wife said no to a
sprinkler system.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:08 AM
Peter H

Most seed mixes will have a nurse grass, meant to germinate quickly to hold
everything else in place. The nurse grass will then die off and be replaced
by the other cultivars.

The poster below has made some very good comments as well.

One other consideration would be to check for insect damage if your brown
spots have not yet recovered.

Peter H

Old 07-10-2005, 04:12 PM

"BTW, I would pass on any seed that has a lot of tall fescue; it's
rank."

Just about all turf experts would reject this assertion. The turf type
tall fescues makes an excellent lawn and are very popular in quality
lawn seed mix. They are also used for many athletic fields, play
grounds and parks. In fact, they are even used by commercial sod
growers. The benefits include less maintenance than blue grass, good
drought tolerance, and quick to establish. The only tall fescues that
I would consider rank are the older coarse type, but they are not used
for lawns.

Old 27-11-2005, 09:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Buck B. Nekkid

John wrote in news:v9duj1tvu87ic2fsmhlndpp4n0l30umfr4@
4ax.com:

Is it possible or even desirable to buy one breed of grass ? I was
thinking about putting in Thermal Blue after this summers brown-out of
my lawn but I read the package contents for Scotts Pure Premium
Heat-Tolerant Blue Grass Seed and noted that it's in fact only 10%
Thermal Blue and the rest is Tall Fescue.

JD

Try: http://www.penningtonseed.com/section/lawn_02.asp?
type=products&category=tall+fescues&id=535

[IBC] Pure Gold in your magazine rack.... or maybe not. richard patefield Bonsai 2 26-03-2004 07:34 PM
[IBC] Pure Gold in your magazine rack.... or maybe not. richard patefield Bonsai 0 26-03-2004 05:11 PM
Another J&P veteran (was Pure Poetry) Mark. Gooley Roses 5 26-11-2003 07:02 PM
Pure Poetry Sam Bass Roses 4 25-11-2003 12:02 AM
Spetracide Stump Remover-- pure K2NO3? BruceKGeist Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:10 AM