Old 07-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Craig Davis

Default What is needed to mow 1 1/2 acre lawn?

I just purchased a home with 1 1/2 acres of fairly level and open lawn. Any
information that will help me make a good decision on what to purchase will
be appreciated. Do I need a lawn tractor or a riding lawn mower. How much
HP is needed? How wide a cut? Any thoughts on which brands to consider or
stay away from would be appreciated.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Ralph Mowery

"Craig Davis" wrote in message
I just purchased a home with 1 1/2 acres of fairly level and open lawn.

Any
information that will help me make a good decision on what to purchase

will
be appreciated. Do I need a lawn tractor or a riding lawn mower. How

much
HP is needed? How wide a cut? Any thoughts on which brands to consider

or
stay away from would be appreciated.

What is your time worth and what kind of budget are you looking at ? If
money is not the object then a zero turn mower may be worth looking at. If
money is tight then you may want to look at a John Deere Lt 120 or something
in that series. Get the largest cut mower you can affoard if you want to
save time. Some of the 3 bladed mowers do not do as even of a cut as the
two bladed mowers. YOu may have to make a tradeoff as to what is more
important , looks or time. Also to keep the lawn in good shape you may want
to make sure you have enough mower to pull an airerator and other things.

YOU could get by with a Murry 38 inch cut but you may have to replace it in
a few years. I don;t think I would get one for that size of lawn. A few
years back my dad had a Murry about that size and had about 2 acres to mow.
It would do the job but it took a while to do it. As he was retired it did
not mater how long it took. Also had to replace it every few years.
He had the money to get a good mower but did not want to spend it on a
mower.So he made "payments" on a good one by buying several that did not
last as long.

Old 07-10-2005, 02:09 PM
Stubby

Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

A tractor+mowing deck will slow you down if you have many gardens, trees
and large rocks to go around. Tractors are best for long, straight cuts
such as a football field. For reference, my old Craftsman "12.5 hp"
(now labeled 18 hp!) moves along at 5.2 mph. It's supposed to be a 38"
cut and I overlap 50%. You can figure how many acres per hour it will
cut from this, assuming no inside corners or gardens to go around.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Mel M Kelly

I would look and see if there is a Dixie Chopper Dealer near. Or go to
www.DixieChopper.com just get the best the first time and save a lot of
hassle. They make a Residential Model now that is great for places like
that.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 07-10-2005, 03:55 PM

get a comercial zero turn like scag or dixie chopper. and buy the best
seat . twice as fast as a riding tractor ,,more comfortable .lucas

Old 07-10-2005, 05:21 PM
mm

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 11:51:30 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Craig Davis" wrote in message
I just purchased a home with 1 1/2 acres of fairly level and open lawn.

Any
information that will help me make a good decision on what to purchase

will
be appreciated. Do I need a lawn tractor or a riding lawn mower. How

much
HP is needed? How wide a cut? Any thoughts on which brands to consider

or
stay away from would be appreciated.

You can get a lot, an awful lot, of good info here, but I again
suggest borrowing asking your neighbor for advice, and borrowing your
neighbor's mower to get first hand info. It's also a good way to
strike up a friendship with him. (Many/most people feel better about
someone they have lent something to than they do about someone they
have borrowed something from, even if they needed to borrow it..)

However since your lawn is so big, and people are talking about mowers
wearing out, I'd ask only to mow the part around my front door, or a 6
foot strip paralleling the driveway or something. He might say, No,
do the whole lawn, but I still might only do enough to tell if I want
exactly his type or something different.

There is a problem. If you ask his advice, as well as his lawn mower
(and you'll get advice either way.) and then you don't take it at all,
and probably if you don't explain why you didn't take it entirely, he
might not like that. Friends of mine, years ago, asked what brand
of color tv to buy, and then I said, Just don't get mechanical tuning.
And what did they buy? Mechanical tuning. I was mildly annoyed, but
we'd been friends for years, so it wasn't my first impression of them.

What is your time worth and what kind of budget are you looking at ? If

You should pay attention to what this guy says. If you check his
name, you'll know he is an authority on mowers.

[...]

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:21 AM
World Traveler

Suggestion: -- Once you've moved in and started landscaping you may find
that you use the tractor as much to pull a garden cart or other accessories
as for mowing. My preferred solution has been the best John Deere lawn
tractor I can afford, plus a Rubbermaid trailer, to which I've added side
posts and various brackets to hold tools. I've got one acre, and use the
lawn tractor for moving landscape timbers, pavers, bags of fertilizer,
towing a sprayer, lawn sweeper, etc. I use the tractor for non-mowing
purposes about 75% of the time. I've also got an attachment so that I can
put on a ball hitch to move a couple of light-weight boat trailers.

The ZTRs that I've seen don't have a towing capability, but I haven't spent
much time looking at them.

I would only consider a ZTR if (1) I had a very large number of obstacles to
mow around, and (2) it had a towing capability.

Also, I seem to be the only one on this newsgroup that doesn't see any
reason to pay extra for a hydrostatic transmission. I would rather put that
money into a larger mower or other accessories, such as a canopy.
Regards --

Old 11-10-2005, 02:06 PM
willshak

On 10/7/2005 12:53 AM US(ET), Craig Davis took fingers to keyboard, and
typed the following:

I just purchased a home with 1 1/2 acres of fairly level and open lawn. Any
information that will help me make a good decision on what to purchase will
be appreciated. Do I need a lawn tractor or a riding lawn mower. How much
HP is needed? How wide a cut? Any thoughts on which brands to consider or
stay away from would be appreciated.

If you like walking and have a lot of time to mow the lawn, buy a walk
behind lawn mower.
If you want to ride and cut down the time, buy a riding lawn mower.
If you want to have a garden and want to attach garden implements to the
mower, like a tiller, etc,. and/or you live in the northern part of
North America and want to use a snow plow, or snow blower attached to
the mower, buy a lawn or garden tractor.

--
Bill

Anyone tried "No Mow" or "Eco-Lawn" grass seed, for low maintenance lawn? DK[_2_] Gardening 0 21-06-2007 07:04 PM
Mow, mow, mow Srgnt Billko Lawns 3 19-05-2007 05:10 AM
No mow lawn [email protected] Gardening 1 10-05-2006 11:38 PM
To mow or not to mow snafu Gardening 9 26-09-2004 02:05 PM
1/4 Acre; I hate to mow it! Tim Fierro Gardening 81 09-06-2004 03:12 PM