Old 08-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Registered User

Default Mushrooms Again

Attached are photos of mushrooms growing on my garden. Which I get every year due to 2 rotting tree stumps, but not normally so large. Just concerned if dangerous as I have a 3 year old daughter.

Can anyone help

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Mushrooms Again-dscf1385b.jpg   Mushrooms Again-dscf1383b.jpg   Mushrooms Again-dscf1384b.jpg
Old 08-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Stubby

CJS wrote:
Attached are photos of mushrooms growing on my garden. Which I get every
year due to 2 rotting tree stumps, but not normally so large. Just
concerned if dangerous as I have a 3 year old daughter.

Can anyone help

I suggest you pick up a bag of hydrated lime from a tile supply store.
Note: "Pulverized lime" sold in the box stores is just ground up
seashells and is much slower to react. The lime will increase the pH
and get rid of mushrooms and moss, but it is very dusty.
Old 16-10-2005, 06:55 AM
mm

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 11:25:31 +0000, CJS
wrote:

Attached are photos of mushrooms growing on my garden. Which I get every
year due to 2 rotting tree stumps, but not normally so large. Just
concerned if dangerous as I have a 3 year old daughter.

Can anyone help

Thanks

I agree withthe pp. Everyone says that one cant' tell in the US what
is edible by looking at it. The mushroom growers started with edible
mushrooms and don't add anything new, afaik.

There was a SouthEast Asian family in California a few years ago who
went picking mushroopms, and found those that looked like the ones
they ate back home, and all or almost all of them died.

Aiui, they grow up in one night -- is that really true -- so if the
lime prevents mushrooms, that's probably the thing to do.

But congratulations for thinking of this problem in advance.

|Filename: DSCF1384b.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2851|

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Old 16-10-2005, 07:07 PM

"Everyone says that one cant' tell in the US what is edible by looking
at it."

That of course is untrue. There's nothing specific about mushrooms in
the US that makes them any harder to identify that mushrooms anywhere
else in the world. There are numerous clubs around the country for
mushroom aficionados that go out and pick wild mushrooms all the time.
I pick them myself, having learned specific ones that are edible and
how to identify them from my grandparents a long time ago. Every
horror story I've ever heard was from someone who behaved like a total
idiot, didn't bother to learn anything about what they were doing, and
just went out and picked something that looked tastey.

I'm not advocating anyone should or needs to do this. Just that if
done properly it's no more dangerous than many other activities that
people engage in all the time.

Old 16-10-2005, 08:05 PM
mm

On 16 Oct 2005 10:07:20 -0700, wrote:

"Everyone says that one cant' tell in the US what is edible by looking
at it."

That of course is untrue. There's nothing specific about mushrooms in
the US that makes them any harder to identify that mushrooms anywhere
else in the world.

For the record, I wasn't saying that it is harder in the US. I spoke
about the US because that is the only area I know.

I'm not surprised you took it the way you did. I often see,
especially regarding politics, business, everyday life, Americans
speaking about the US as if, it seems to me, they are saying things
are different here from other places or every other place. I don't
know for sure they mean that, but most are not qualified to speak
about the rest of the world and they only imagine what it is like
there. I'm not qualified either, but I've traveled outside the US a
bit and seen enough that I didn't expect to know I'm not qualified.

I did consider it possible that in some areas there were NO poisonous
mushrooms, just like in Maine there are, I'm told, no poisonous
snakes. I get strange comfort from that when I'm hiking in Maryland,
if you want to know how easily confused I am.

There are numerous clubs around the country for
mushroom aficionados that go out and pick wild mushrooms all the time.
I pick them myself, having learned specific ones that are edible and
how to identify them from my grandparents a long time ago. Every
horror story I've ever heard was from someone who behaved like a total
idiot, didn't bother to learn anything about what they were doing, and
just went out and picked something that looked tastey.

I'm not advocating anyone should or needs to do this. Just that if
done properly it's no more dangerous than many other activities that
people engage in all the time.

Fair enough. Thanks for the correction. Maybe he could find a
club near him which could come out and check. Although even then, if
the ones growing now were safe, would that mean that all the ones next
month or next year would be? I know that some toddlers will eat
everything they can find, so I don't think any system that left them
growing when she was outside would work..

Old 20-10-2005, 03:56 AM
Muvin Gruvin

Default Mushrooms Again cjs

living in the Pacific Northwest mushrooms are just part of life here.
Ciscoe Morris, the gardening guru of the University of Washington, and
who has a garden question and anwer show says the only thing to do about
mushrooms is get your golf club out and practice your swing.
That will get rid of them for awhile.