Old 09-10-2005, 10:28 AM
garyhgaryh

Default 3.5 Briggs and Stratton Engine on my Murray 20" mower

I ran out of gas on my mower the other day. I put what was left in the gas
tank which allowed it to run another 3-5 minutes or so. It started
sputtering when it was running out of gas but I
kept the mower going by bouncing the mower up and
down ... went for another minute or so. I went to get gas and accidently
poured some gas down the mesh area (intake?) as I took the nozzle out of
the tank.
I went to start it up but it was sputtering like it was running out of
gas.. Mower never died. So my question is, did I run the engine lean when
I kept it running by bouncing the mower around or did the gas I accidently
poured down the mesh/intake have anything to do with it? When I say intake
it's the grill/mesh part at the top where the pull cord runs in. Don't
know much about these lawn mower engines... When the engine is running, it
sputters but won't die although sometimes it feels like it and I see a
puff of black smoke every few secs. It no longer runs well. And I used
up a tank in two mowing days when it used to last about 5 or 6 mowing
days.

Help.
Gary

Old 09-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Lil' Dave

"garyhgaryh" wrote in message
lkaboutgardening.com...
[...]

Well, in addition to describing the texture, the area of where this not
normally gassed area is would have helped. Is it the CENTER of the engine?
If so, its the recoil / starter cord area. No harm done. Has nothing to do
with how the engine run if you spilled gasoline there.

My guess for the reason for the engine running difficulties is there was
muck/dirt on the bottom of the tank. Running it dry sucked it into the tiny
orifices. Pulling the carb and flushing it with gasonline may work the
nasty stuff out. Wouldn't hurt to flush the gas tank while you're at it.
Otherwise, a rebuild of the carb is in order.

Old 09-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Registered User

Location: Hole in the woods,Florida. USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh
[...]

Remove the tank and carb. assembly, Remove the carb. from the tank, Use carb. & choke spray cleaner and clean the fuel pick-up tube and main jet screens and spray through main jet. Flush tank out with fresh fuel, Install a new diaphragm (between carb. & tank) and reassemble. Should run like new again. Oh don't forget a new plug, It's probably fouled from the black smoke you described.
Good luck
__________________
15 yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
Kohler Factory Trained
Tecumsea
Honda
Kawasaki
Robin
Onan
Dixie Chopper
Cub Cadet
White Outdoor
Troybuilt
Old 09-10-2005, 04:13 PM

if you have the type engine with the fuel tank mounted on the carb,then
replace the rubber gasket between the tank and carb. it pumps fuel . a
new spark plug and snug up head bolts is in order too. lucas