Old 10-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Gntry

Default new planting care?

We planted new shrubs and a weeping cherry tree this past summer. We have
watered and fertilized and they have really taken. Most if not all of the
shrubs have just about doubled in size. My question: when would the best
time to trim these back be? now or in the spring? some of the new shoots
have reached the stage where they are drooping over. I think the root system
has a good hold but wonder if I should let them take a winter (NorthEast) so
to speak. ??

Old 10-10-2005, 11:06 PM
World Traveler

To a degree it depends upon the plant. I don't like to prune too late in
the year because of the danger that it will force new tender shoot growth
which are then hit by winter freezes. Specifically for azaleas and
rhododendrons, I prune AFTER they bloom next spring -- if you prune now
you'll be cutting off the parts that will bloom next spring. Also, if you
have raspberries, pruning now will eliminate next year's crop. If you'll
add info on what shrubs you've planted, perhaps someone knowledgable from
the Northeast will step up and answer with specifics. Regards --