GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fertilizer - Have soil test results (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/107902-fertilizer-have-soil-test-results.html)

10w40 11-10-2005 02:26 PM

Fertilizer - Have soil test results

I am located in southern Indiana and have tall fescue for a lawn. I
had my soil tested this spring and it showed that my soil was extremely
lacking phosphorus and potassium. This spring I put down some 6-24-24.
But from what I have read for fall fertilizer, you want a higher
nitrogen content. So, what should I put down now? My initial thought
was to put down some 13-13-13, but then I saw some 18-24-12 at HD, but
it cost about double what the 13-13-13 was. I understand the numbers
and how to calculate lbs per bag, so I was thinking to just put down
about 1.5 times as much 13-13-13 to get me about equal to the 18-24-12.
Or should I stick with my soil sample and put down 6-24-24?

Thanks,

Jon

Rolling Thunder 11-10-2005 03:05 PM

On 11 Oct 2005 06:26:38 -0700, "10w40" wrote:

I am located in southern Indiana and have tall fescue for a lawn. I
had my soil tested this spring and it showed that my soil was extremely
lacking phosphorus and potassium. This spring I put down some 6-24-24.
But from what I have read for fall fertilizer, you want a higher
nitrogen content. So, what should I put down now? My initial thought
was to put down some 13-13-13, but then I saw some 18-24-12 at HD, but
it cost about double what the 13-13-13 was. I understand the numbers
and how to calculate lbs per bag, so I was thinking to just put down
about 1.5 times as much 13-13-13 to get me about equal to the 18-24-12.
Or should I stick with my soil sample and put down 6-24-24?

Thanks,

Jon

I think you want to use a slow release fertilizer which the 13-13-13
isn't. That's a quick release and will leech out very quickly after
application. I'd use the 18-24-12 for the fall. That's what I use
here in North Carolina.

Thunder