Old 11-10-2005, 10:16 PM
cardarch

Default Please Help

I live in Philadelphia PA and recently had a few trees cut down. I
filled the large hole up in the front lawn where the largest tree was
cut down and the roots reamed out. The other tree was smaller and I
didn't have to fill the hole up. Perhaps there are wood chips in it.
The question is, is it too late to plant grass? I thought I would
spread some top soil and some Scott's Sun and Shady grass seed and then
put burlap on top, water it and wait for it to sprout and then remove
the burlap. But now people tell me its too late. It that correct.
Else where I have heard that people are planting annual rye seed until
the end of October. It would be wonderful if someone could give me
some advice on what to do. Thanks very much.

Old 12-10-2005, 03:54 AM

"The question is, is it too late to plant grass? "

It's not ideal, but it's certainly not too late to plant grass seed in
Philly. Fescue will germinate in a week, blue grass will take 2-3
weeks. Assuming normal weather, meaning it doesn't get cold a lot
sooner than usual, you will be OK. It's been so hot and dry here in
central NJ that I did some seeding I needed to do only last Fri, right
before the big rain.

And there's not much downside, since you;re just patching some areas.
I've seeded full lawns in late Oct and had good results. The biggest
concern there is that it won't have enough time to fill in real well
till spring, so if you're doing a whole lawn, it may not look great for
the winter. But that shouldn't be a problem for a few spots.

If you want a sure method, get some sod, which is an option for small
patch areas.