GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can anyone identify this flower? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/108039-re-can-anyone-identify-flower.html)

Pat Kiewicz 15-10-2005 11:37 AM

Can anyone identify this flower?

said:

For the second year in a row, this plant has flowered in my garden. I
don't remember planting it and have no idea what it is or how it got
there. Pretty sure it's not a weed though.

It only started flowering a week ago but is in a very shady location,
sort of a hosta-type area for sunlight. Am considering replanting it
to a sunnier location next spring if it will tolerate more sun.

It's a variety Japanese Toad Lily (_Trycirtis_ species, possibly T. hirta).
Best in a woodland or part-shade garden (morning sun rather than
afternoon sun).

An assortment of Toad Lilies to look at here (scroll down):
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Fall/page67.html

I have some growing along my brick path, along with other shade
plants, and it's blooming right now.
--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)