Old 17-10-2005, 12:18 AM
PacKat

Default Garden tractor: Easy to operate?

My mum is 56 going on 57 years young. She used to be very
healthy but somewhat begin to feel her age. She live alone
in a house surrounded by trees. The property is about 3
acres. She is considering buying a garden tractor, mainly
for snow removal and hauling some firewood around her
property.

I am very worried that the tractor might be a bit too much
for woman her age to handle. Since my father died, she took
it upon herself to do everything my dad used to do. She is
very healthy and exercises regularly.

I would like to ask your opinion if operating a garden
tractor is reasonable for woman her age. Her property is
hilly and woody but clear of undergrowth. Will she be able
to ride the tractor up/down a steep incline? I know very
little about tractors but did a bit of searching in the
internet. She has her heart set on Sear's Craftsman, Arien
or Honda. Not sure what HP would be appropriate for her.

Thanks,
pac

Old 17-10-2005, 05:55 AM
Pat

They come with automatic transmissions. Just step on a pedal and go.
Steering is manual and may take some strength. Lifting the mower deck takes
some strength. Should be easy to check by sitting on a machine before
purchase. If you spend more money, $10,000 you can get power steering and
power lift for the mower.

Old 17-10-2005, 06:42 AM
Dave Balderstone

In article klA4f.3202$nk2.2916@trnddc07, PacKat
wrote:

I would like to ask your opinion if operating a garden
tractor is reasonable for woman her age

Absolutely. She's not driving a Formula 1 car, just a garden tractor.

Actually, I'm guessing she'd probably do fine in the F1 car...

The main thing I'd be concerned about (even if I was going to be
driving the thing) is the steepness of slope. If there's a risk of
rollover then you should consider talking to the dealership about
having someone come out and demonstrate safe technique so she
understands how to approach a slope while reducing her risk of injury.

Old 17-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Lil' Dave

"PacKat" wrote in message
[...]

Only physical concern I would have would be osteoporosis. Women tend to be
physical for most of their lives, and adapt to most any situation presented
to them.

Old 18-10-2005, 02:44 AM
Srgnt Billko

"PacKat" wrote in message
My mum is 56 going on 57 years young. She used to be very healthy but
somewhat begin to feel her age. She live alone in a house surrounded by
trees. The property is about 3 acres. She is considering buying a
garden tractor, mainly for snow removal

How much snow do you get ? If it's just a couple inches a snowplow (blade)
will do but if you expect more you will need a snowblower attachment that
costs almost as much as the tractor. And they are a chore (and heavy) to
attach and take back off in the spring.

and hauling some firewood around her property.

The regular pull behind carts come in a variety of sizes. You'll need one
that is rated for 14 cubic feet with wide tires to haul any amount of
firewood.

I am very worried that the tractor might be a bit too much for woman her
age to handle. Since my father died, she took it upon herself to do
everything my dad used to do. She is very healthy and exercises
regularly.

Sounds like she is capable of making her own decisions. But if she is
within 2 hours I am always up to helping a widow with mechanical problems.

I would like to ask your opinion if operating a garden tractor is
reasonable for woman her age. Her property is hilly and woody but clear
of undergrowth. Will she be able to ride the tractor up/down a steep
incline? I know very little about tractors but did a bit of searching in
the internet. She has her heart set on Sear's Craftsman, Arien or Honda.
Not sure what HP would be appropriate for her.

Not sure what you call steep but I've had my Wheelhorse up a path so steep I
had trouble walking it. Of course leaving the mower deck on lowers the
center of gravity and helps a lot - but I didn't have the wheel weights on.
And if she plans to blow snow on a hilly area she will probably want wheel
weights and chains.
A light weight tractor will be prone to lifting the front end off the ground
if the power is engaged to suddenly.

Thanks,
pac

Old 19-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Mel M Kelly

Out of those 3 I wouldn't even consider the Sears. Get the longest wheel
base you can get for climbing hills. Also make sure there is some tread
on the tires, not those slick turf tires.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 20-10-2005, 06:18 AM
PacKat

Thank you all for invaluable information. You guys are just
great!

My mother lives in Maryland, suburb of DC. Not unusual for
us to get snow as high as a foot or more if it is not taken
care of ASAP. She usually hires some neighbors' kids to
blow the snow when it gets too high. However last year she
let the snow piled up untouched and just took a vacation
from work for a couple of weeks. This year she said she
will be prepared for the worst. Big piles of firewood.

A stretch of her driveway was quite steep, 15-20 degrees may
be. Her only concern was that she just had it resurfaced
(asphalt but not yet sealed.) Would the weight and chain
do real damage to the surface?

Thanks!
pac

Old 28-10-2005, 12:05 AM
mm

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:18:56 GMT, "PacKat" wrote:

My mum is 56 going on 57 years young. She used to be very
healthy but somewhat begin to feel her age. She live alone
in a house surrounded by trees. The property is about 3
acres. She is considering buying a garden tractor, mainly
for snow removal and hauling some firewood around her
property.

I am very worried that the tractor might be a bit too much
for woman her age to handle. Since my father died, she took
it upon herself to do everything my dad used to do. She is
very healthy and exercises regularly.

I'm healthy but don't exercise much, so she's ahead of me. I'm male
and 58. I don't feel much different from when I was 30. Apparently
many people don't get old as fast as they used to. I know active
people who are 103, and 96 and younger.

The 96 year old lived with her husband who was 2 years older until she
was 92 and he died at 94. She still drove and wore 2 inch heels.
Then she lived alone unti she was 95.

My aunt lived alone after her husband died 15 years ago until she was
about 96. She finally moved to assisted living. She's the most
active one there, even at 100. At her birthday party, she stood and
greeted the guests for over an hour even though there was a chair
right there. Her hearing failed when she was 102, so I can't talk to
her on the phone anymore. But her 68 year old son takes good care of
her if she needs something. He looks pretty good too.

Of course that doesn't mean that everyone gets to live this long and
this healthy, but your mother will know when to slow down.

I would like to ask your opinion if operating a garden
tractor is reasonable for woman her age. Her property is
hilly and woody but clear of undergrowth. Will she be able
to ride the tractor up/down a steep incline? I know very

I don't think *anyone* should try to ride the tractor up or down a
steep incline unless it is paved. Depending on how steep it is.

little about tractors but did a bit of searching in the
internet. She has her heart set on Sear's Craftsman, Arien
or Honda. Not sure what HP would be appropriate for her.

Be careful. If you talk her out of this she may get a 350HP Corvette.

Thanks,
pac

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.