Old 25-10-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Where can I get a used lawn tractor engine?

Hi,

Where should I be looking to find a rpelacemtn for a B&S 15.5 hp IC
engine? I want a used one because I'm just going to be using this
tracotr for plaowing snow off the driveway, I upgraded to a ZTR mower
when the engine blew on this one.

It's been surprisingly hard to find a suitable engine on the net, even
Ebay seems to have very little selection.

So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Gearing up for winter in Chicago

P.S. If anyone has an advice on how high/low I should go with the hp I
would appreciate that as well.

Old 26-10-2005, 01:13 AM
Oscar_Lives

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Where should I be looking to find a rpelacemtn for a B&S 15.5 hp IC
engine? I want a used one because I'm just going to be using this
tracotr for plaowing snow off the driveway, I upgraded to a ZTR mower
when the engine blew on this one.

It's been surprisingly hard to find a suitable engine on the net, even
Ebay seems to have very little selection.

So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Gearing up for winter in Chicago

P.S. If anyone has an advice on how high/low I should go with the hp I
would appreciate that as well.

These folks can help you:

http://www.commercialpower.com/

Old 26-10-2005, 05:18 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Where should I be looking to find a rpelacemtn for a B&S 15.5 hp IC
engine? I want a used one because I'm just going to be using this
tracotr for plaowing snow off the driveway, I upgraded to a ZTR mower
when the engine blew on this one.

It's been surprisingly hard to find a suitable engine on the net, even
Ebay seems to have very little selection.

So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Gearing up for winter in Chicago

P.S. If anyone has an advice on how high/low I should go with the hp I
would appreciate that as well.

Why take a chance on a used one? I'd rebuild mine.

Old 26-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Srgnt Billko

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Where should I be looking to find a rpelacemtn for a B&S 15.5 hp IC
engine? I want a used one because I'm just going to be using this
tracotr for plaowing snow off the driveway, I upgraded to a ZTR mower
when the engine blew on this one.

It's been surprisingly hard to find a suitable engine on the net, even
Ebay seems to have very little selection.

So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Gearing up for winter in Chicago

P.S. If anyone has an advice on how high/low I should go with the hp I
would appreciate that as well.

My guess is that you can spend $75 for a used engine, spend 4 hours
exchanging them and have no idea how good the "new" engine is or spend $100
to buy an old running machine without a mower deck, hook up a plow and do
your thing.

Old 26-10-2005, 03:12 PM

"Why take a chance on a used one? I'd rebuild mine."

If you saw the old one you'd understand. We uh, had a little problem
with it.

We pulled it off (only took about 1/2 hour) and my father -in-law (ex
mechanic) pulled it apart, there's a broken rod among other problems.

I'd love to find an old lawn tractor for $100, but again, where do I
look? I just did a search on Ebay, got one result which looked
promising until I discovered I'd have to pick it up in Oklahoma.

Old 26-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Srgnt Billko

wrote in message
ps.com...
"Why take a chance on a used one? I'd rebuild mine."

If you saw the old one you'd understand. We uh, had a little problem
with it.

We pulled it off (only took about 1/2 hour) and my father -in-law (ex
mechanic) pulled it apart, there's a broken rod among other problems.

I'd love to find an old lawn tractor for $100, but again, where do I
look? I just did a search on Ebay, got one result which looked
promising until I discovered I'd have to pick it up in Oklahoma.

Don't be so hung up on eBay. I find them in local classifieds, in front of
homes with for sale signs on them, on a local radio buy & sell program, on
supermarket bulletin boards, at yard sales, and at the local Old Time Power
Club flea market.

Old 27-10-2005, 04:15 PM
mm

On 26 Oct 2005 07:12:23 -0700, wrote:

I'd love to find an old lawn tractor for $100, but again, where do I
look? I just did a search on Ebay, got one result which looked
promising until I discovered I'd have to pick it up in Oklahoma.

You could fly out to Oklahoma and ride it back.

I think there is a way to limit ebay searches to your own area.

Harbor Freight sells new engines, but I have no idea about the
quality.

Go to a guy who repairs lawn mowers. He'll have left overs. He may
be able to start it for you before you buy it. He may be willing to
guarantee it will start for a week or he'll exchange it. (assuming he
has more than one that will fit.). The latter might not be so likely,
and will have to be in writing I suppose.

There is a big guy near me who also sells parts for many brands, and
there is a little guy near me who works out of his back yard. They
both might have an engine. I'm pretty sure the little guy (about 65
years old) never throws away anything can be used again. (there is a
corner next to his porch with nothing but wheel bolts.) OTOH, the big
guy might do greater volume, and if you ask a guy like that to be on
the lookout, he'll call you when someone scraps a tractor with the
engine you need.. The other guy would too, but it might take him
longer to find one if he doesn't have it already.

You can ask more than one place at the same time to keep an eye open.
It's not immoral if you don't make promises, or if you only make
promises you can and do actually keep.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Old 27-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Srgnt Billko

wrote in message
ps.com...

We pulled it off (only took about 1/2 hour)

You were lucky. Most need to remove the drive pulley to get the motor off
and sometimes that alone can take over half an hour. And, of course,
fitting another one back on always takes longer. You'll be lucky is the
mounting holes are even close - and if the carb will take the throttle and
choke cables, etc.
..