Old 30-10-2005, 03:46 PM
The Webbers / Hilltop Cycle

Default seeding your own lawn ?

Here in Iowa i, it is going to be winter sometime soo. Has anyone ever just
put seed on the ground before winter and let is soak down into the ground
over winter ? Any success ? I am new at this lawn seeding process and how I
need to do it ? How do I have to prepare the ground to be successful ? I
have a large yard and can't pay a professional to do it.
Thanks,
Raz

Old 30-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Brigitte

"The Webbers / Hilltop Cycle" wrote in message
Here in Iowa i, it is going to be winter sometime soo. Has anyone ever

just
put seed on the ground before winter and let is soak down into the ground
over winter ? Any success ? I am new at this lawn seeding process and how

need to do it ? How do I have to prepare the ground to be successful ? I
have a large yard and can't pay a professional to do it.
Thanks,
Raz

Hi Raz,
I'm in Nebraska and would like to seed my lawn in the same way you describe.
I'm a nurse, and work rotating shifts and would like to overseed my lawn,
but don't have a lot of time to do it. I'd like to be able to rake up my
leaves and put down seed and hope that it comes up in the spring. I just
don't have a lot of time to spend on prep, but my lawn is getting sparse,
and a lot of weeds are allowed to come in.

Hoping someone can chime in and tell us if this is possible.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old 30-10-2005, 09:55 PM
The Webbers / Hilltop Cycle

"Brigitte" wrote in message

[...]

Brigitte,

Sounds about like our family, my lawn is only 2 years old and in rural Iowa
so I have been fighting weeds and thistles.
I also hope someone can tell us if this will work.
Raz

Old 30-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Bob

Its getting late in the season but if you mow your lawn very short and
aerate you'll have better results.

Bob

Old 31-10-2005, 12:07 AM
Tom J

"Bob" wrote in message
Its getting late in the season but if you mow your lawn very short
and aerate you'll have better results.

Something else to check in your area. If the farmers already have
winter wheat out of the ground, it's too late to sow seed. If you see
them still drilling in seed, plat the grass now - not next week!!
Tom J

Old 31-10-2005, 04:15 PM

In Iowa and Nebraska it's too late to sow grass seed now. The only
possible exception would be to use a fast germinating variety like an
annual rye grass to give quick cover if you had bare soil. But the
question posed is for overseeding an existing lawn and now is too late
for success. Seed sown now will start to germinate and not have enough
time to get established before winter and most of it will likely die.

The best time to overseed is Sept or early Oct. The next best time is
early Spring, so at this point, I would plan on doing it in the Spring.
And the best way is to rent a slice seeder, which you can do for abot
$45 for a half day and transport in an SUV. That puts the seed into
the soil in grooves that it cuts and will give excellent germination
with minimal work. In the meantime, get the soil tested and adjust the
PH, if needed. Figure out what kind of quality grass you will be using
and how you will keep it moist for several weeks while it germintates.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Muvin Gruvin

in the Pacific Northewest we too have to reseed early fall or early
spring. Seed will only rot if it doesn't have time to germinate and
establish itself.
Come early spring you can rent an aerator....(takes plugs out of the
lawn)....okay so it will look like FiFi did her business all over the
place for awhile. You can leave the plugs where they fall. Then dress
with topsoil & reseed.

Old 11-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Stubby

Muvin Gruvin wrote:
in the Pacific Northewest we too have to reseed early fall or early
spring. Seed will only rot if it doesn't have time to germinate and
establish itself.
Come early spring you can rent an aerator....(takes plugs out of the
lawn)....okay so it will look like FiFi did her business all over the
place for awhile. You can leave the plugs where they fall. Then dress
with topsoil & reseed.

Before renting, check that the aerator can cope with the irregular
surface in your yard. Just rolling with a standard roller doesn't even
it out either.