Old 05-11-2005, 02:26 PM
JD

Default Richdel 476 Irrigation controller

This morning I discovered that my sprinklers didn't work this morning. When
I looked at the controller it was flashing 2FUS. The system is about 10
years old.
The trouble shooting manual on the web states that there are crossed wires
or a bad valve. I looked at the connections and all of them look good and
tight. Shouldn't the valves work, except for the bad one?
I tested the pump and it is working fine.
Any ideas on how to go about diagnosing and correcting this problem?

Thanks
JD

Old 05-11-2005, 09:33 PM
SJF

"JD" wrote in message
This morning I discovered that my sprinklers didn't work this morning.
When I looked at the controller it was flashing 2FUS. The system is about
10 years old.
The trouble shooting manual on the web states that there are crossed wires
or a bad valve. I looked at the connections and all of them look good and
tight. Shouldn't the valves work, except for the bad one?
I tested the pump and it is working fine.
Any ideas on how to go about diagnosing and correcting this problem?

Thanks
JD

I presume the 2FUS message is telling you that the fuse has blown.
Reasonable approach is to check the fuse with a multimeter if you have one.
If it's blown or you don't have a multimeter, buy a pack of suitable
replacement fuses (take the old one to RadioShack for like replacement) and
install a new one. Maybe it will now work. After all, fuses do often die
of prolonged use when used near their maximum rating. If the new fuse
blows, then you need to check your valve wiring for short circuits (crossed
wires or a bad valve solenoid).

SJF

Old 05-11-2005, 10:15 PM
JD

I looked for a fuse but couldn't find one, even when I removed the face
plate. I am not sure where else a fuse would be. I can't even get any of
the zones to run on manual. I believe the transformer is working because
the LED lights up, even when the battery back up is removed. I am not sure
how to check the solonoids. I don't have a multi meter, but this may be a
good excuse to get one.
Thanks for the input.
JD

Old 08-11-2005, 08:05 PM
SJF

"JD" wrote in message news:0k9bf.4899$AC.358@dukeread10...
I looked for a fuse but couldn't find one, even when I removed the face
plate. I am not sure where else a fuse would be. I can't even get any of
the zones to run on manual. I believe the transformer is working because
the LED lights up, even when the battery back up is removed. I am not
sure
how to check the solonoids. I don't have a multi meter, but this may be a
good excuse to get one.
Thanks for the input.
JD

With a multimeter, you can disconnect the hot leads to the valves, one by
one, and measure the resistance between the hot lead and the common lead (no
need to disconnect the hot lead). It should read about 20 ohms in each
case. If you find one or two that are different from the rest you are close
to the problem. Could be shorted wiring or a shorted valve solenoid that is
throwing the controller in a protective mode. If they all read the same, it
could be a failed controller.

I'm not familiar with your particular controller. In my limited experience,
it seems many use the same, or a similar, chip but vary in the mechanical
aspects and software. But I hope these comments prove useful.

SJF