Old 09-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Joseph Meehan

Default Old gasoline

Oscar_Lives wrote:
Why not dump in on the ground? Better yet--poor it down an old well.
Gas and oil came from the ground. Put it back where it came from and
be done with it.

If you are not a troll, then you are really ignorant.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old 09-11-2005, 04:46 PM
UNIVERSAL MIND

I use that for cleaning parts in a pan, with gloves preferably- or use
it to burn trash, etc. as an ignitor. Old gas makes an engine run
terrible.

Old 09-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Goedjn

Please -do not- dump fossil fuel on the ground, you can add that much to
your car tank and never notice a difference in performance.....if you dump
that much on the ground, you will kill everything in the soil that's close
by -and- some fish in your nearest body of water.

Use it up first next year you bogart!

Mix it up around 30/70 with motor oil, and
use it to burn out tent catapillars, or
buy one of those books from lindsaybks.com
that shows you how to make a gasoline-powered
blowtorch.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Tom Miller

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 12:36:42 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
wrote:

| "Steveo" wrote in message
| (Tom Miller) wrote:
| On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 01:57:59 GMT, "FDR"
| wrote:
|
| | I have a couple of gallons of old gasoline, probably at least a year
| | old. I suppose I could dispose of it properly, but I was wondering
| | of it could be "revived" somehow or used instead?
| |
| |
| Only two gallons of just one year old gas? Dump it into your car's gas
| tank and get new gas for the mower. The gas is not that old in the
| first place and there's not enough of it to cause a problem to your
| auto in the second place. Please don't dump it on the ground or use it
| for weed killer, as this is environmentally damaging. In my state,
| it's illegal. People get caught and fined for doing it.
|
| Exactly right!
|
| Please -do not- dump fossil fuel on the ground, you can add that much to
| your car tank and never notice a difference in performance.....if you dump
| that much on the ground, you will kill everything in the soil that's close
| by -and- some fish in your nearest body of water.
|

| Why not dump in on the ground? Better yet--poor it down an old well. Gas
| and oil came from the ground. Put it back where it came from and be done
| with it.

How about you make soup out of it and feed it to your family. Or salad
dressing. It's harmless, right?

Old 09-11-2005, 09:19 PM

wrote:
Cant be revived. Its gone bad. If anything you can mix it with fresh
gas and run it on lawnmowers snowblowers etc. (would put it into a
car, might damage things)

Might not run the best but sometimes it better than dumping.

Otherwise you can use it to kill weeds grass etc along the fence.

Tom

Naw, you can put a gallon or two of old gas into a car tank that's more
or less full with new gas (and has room, duh) without screwing anything
up. The new gas has enough reserve solvent capacity to keep anything
solidifying from the old gas in solution. At least, that's what the
lawnmower and snowblower sites I've been looking at lately tell me.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:22 PM

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Don Young" wrote in message
I found that adding old gasoline to my Farmall Cub tractor caused severe
valve sticking. Don Young

Interesting - we've had Farmall Cubs in the family for years and I've thrown
all kinds of gas in them in the past. But as I've gotten older and less
inclined to drain tanks & clean carburetors I've been more careful recently.
Just had to drain water out of mine (condensation) from being outside
covered with a tarp. I have a Massey Pony with a "sticky valve" and it's
power is greatly reduced. The only time I've had a Cub with power reduced
that much is when a plug was fouled.

Been looking at the snowblower talks lately, a lot of them swear by
adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel to prevent sticky valves, etc.

.. .

Old 09-11-2005, 09:24 PM

Tomatos grown in gasoline soaked ground... Hummmm!!!

You could always mix it up with fresh two cycle gas a little
at a time. No valves to get stuck. Might run a bit crappy though.

I would again mix it either with fresh gas and run it in a lawnmower or

snowblower.

OR

Use it as a nice good weedkiller. Just pour it in small amounts.
Enough to kill the grass but not enough to soak in a do some
soil damage. You might be even able to use it in a spray bottle to
kill the weeds....

Old 09-11-2005, 09:25 PM

Joseph Meehan wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
FDR wrote:
I have a couple of gallons of old gasoline, probably at least a year
old. I suppose I could dispose of it properly, but I was wondering
of it could be "revived" somehow or used instead?

You will get all sorts of answers, possibly
because of varying conditions but often due to
blind prejudice. First 1 year old is not a
problem, 2 years old means be careful, 3 years old
means be really careful and the best advice is to
dump it. If the container is full or nearly, if it
wasn't subject to high or warm temperatures for
the entire period the gas will be in much better
condition that stored in a 1/2 full can and at
higher temperatures.

If it really is about 1 year old just added a
gallon of it at a time to 18 or more gallons of
gas in any vehicle.

George has it right. My suggestion is to add a little at a time to your
car's gas tank. Only do this with a nearly full tank in the car. No more
than a gallon at a time, I would use less. Diluted like this will be safe
for your car.

Today's gas is better than that of years ago so it will last longer
before going bad, which it does just a little at a time.

Yes and no... the advent of in-tank electric fuel pumps for fuel
injection, which are not prone to vapor lock, has led to the refineries
leaving a lot of the real light fractions in the gasoline that they
couldn't in the past, so that they evaporate out more. In fact, older
evaporative pollution control systems from the early 80s and such get
maxed out by current fuel. Whether that would be a problem for a
lawnmower with no fuel pump is dubious, of course.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old 09-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Joseph Meehan

z wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
FDR wrote:
[...]

True, but evaporation is not ... well in some cases it could be, the
problem of old gas. It is the chemical reactions within the gas that is the
usual problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old 09-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Srgnt Billko

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Don Young" wrote in message
I found that adding old gasoline to my Farmall Cub tractor caused severe
valve sticking. Don Young

Interesting - we've had Farmall Cubs in the family for years and I've
thrown
all kinds of gas in them in the past. But as I've gotten older and less
inclined to drain tanks & clean carburetors I've been more careful
recently.
Just had to drain water out of mine (condensation) from being outside
covered with a tarp. I have a Massey Pony with a "sticky valve" and it's
power is greatly reduced. The only time I've had a Cub with power
reduced
that much is when a plug was fouled.

Been looking at the snowblower talks lately, a lot of them swear by
adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel to prevent sticky valves, etc.

I had a neighbor who claimed he used Marvel Mystery Oil as "starting fluid".
Is that possible ?
I'm afraid it is too late to "prevent" for that Pony - but I might throw a
little in the gas tanks of my other two and the Cub.

.. .

Old 10-11-2005, 03:33 AM

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Don Young" wrote in message
[...]

Got me. I've never actually opened a can of the stuff.,

.. .

Old 11-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Jim

wrote:

| I have a couple of gallons of old gasoline, probably at least a

year
| old. I suppose I could dispose of it properly, but I was wondering
| of it could be "revived" somehow or used instead?

Only two gallons of just one year old gas? Dump it into your car's gas
tank and get new gas for the mower. The gas is not that old in the
first place and there's not enough of it to cause a problem to your
auto in the second place. Please don't dump it on the ground or use it
for weed killer, as this is environmentally damaging. In my state,
it's illegal. People get caught and fined for doing it.

Exactly right!

Please -do not- dump fossil fuel on the ground, you can add that much to
your car tank and never notice a difference in performance.....if you dump
that much on the ground, you will kill everything in the soil that's close
by -and- some fish in your nearest body of water.

Use it up first next year you bogart!

Runoff of this can be a problem environmentally. If spreadout along a
fenceline, yes it kills everything for that growing season on that
fenceline. And much less likely to runoff if dumped in one location.
Typically the next growing season, the soil has recovered enough by breaking
down the gasoline to usable or benign components. 2 to 3 years, one would
think fertilizer was dropped there instead by growth appearances. Used
engine oil is similar. Would have second thoughts on synthetic oil or
petroleum based oil with additive product added to the oil by the consumer.

Dumping laws were directed at chemicals, oil products that were dumped with
no attention to the environment. A common invisible example is an
underground gasoline storage tank that has leaks due to age. The contents
get into the water table. The environmental laws apply to all. Even though
some conscientious individual could dispense a given amount of petroleum
waste without any immediate and subsequent impact except the location its
dumped. A gallon of "bad" gasoline doesn't go to far spread out on a
fenceline. Most of it evaporates.

--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg

Old 11-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Jim

"Bob" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
Other than killing weeds on the fenceline, there's another

garden use. If
your tomatoes/potato crop location has that contagion that

requires at least
two years of non-growth to allow the contagion to run its

course, then pour
the gas in the area. 2 years later, and alls good

irregardless.

If you'd eat vegetables grown where gasoline was dumped,
MBTE and all, you are a far more "trusting" man than I.

Bob

Why? Edible foods are grown in soil with fertilizers derived from
petroleum, or some form of manure everyday. The only difference here
between petroleum derived fertilizer and this is that am not paying for it.
Mother nature is doing the chemical breakdown of the petroleum product.
Just because its not a common practice, doesn't mean its not viable.

Anyone who's done backyard location car work for years in a location in the
backyard, then abandoned that location has seen the results from the oil and
gasoline waste. Similar to the grass growing greener over a leaky septic
tank or leech field. Fenceline waste oil dumping is the same. Takes a
couple of years to recover, but the results are the same.