Old 09-11-2005, 03:41 PM
UNIVERSAL MIND

Default the amazing flathead Briggs

In the past I've tinkered with quite a few Briggs engines, ranging from
3 HP to 15 HP- and they never cease to amaze me.

We have a 3 HP and 5 HP that we put on a go-kart, that hauled an adult
and child quite briskly with a cent. clutch and chain drive- to the
point it overpowered the chassis.

The 12-15 HP engines are real torque monsters in the 2 tractors I've
worked on.

What amazes me about them is how simple they are- anyone out there soup
these up, if so, what results ?

I was given (2) 3HP Briggs that were both blown up and not running,
that were attached to water pumps. The head and valve seat on one was
broken, the other had a broken connecting rod. I took the rod/piston
from one, used the crankcase and head from another...

started right up and ran- and hauled ass on the go kart, with 2 people
on it.

amazing machines. Now I'm itching to get a Ford flathead V-8...

Old 10-11-2005, 02:50 AM

UNIVERSAL MIND wrote:

amazing machines. Now I'm itching to get a Ford flathead V-8...

Flatheads are simple, but dated machines. Ford flatheads are a real
PITA compared to modern pushrods or overhead cams. Some flatheads are
very great looking machines- Indian flathead motorcycle engines are
one. The finned head is a great looking piece, but you loose quite a
bit of horsepower which is why most motors are overhead valves now.

The briggs engines are simple because they can be. Easy to keep
working, cheap to maintain.

Kirb

Old 10-11-2005, 11:27 PM
UNIVERSAL MIND

yes, I'm aware the OHV engines make about twice as much power and
breathe better, but the flatheads are way easier to work on- and less
parts means more reliable

Old 11-11-2005, 04:08 AM

UNIVERSAL MIND wrote:
yes, I'm aware the OHV engines make about twice as much power and
breathe better, but the flatheads are way easier to work on- and less
parts means more reliable

I'll put a honda OHV against a briggs any day of the week. I work for a
union contractor and even the field workers want the Honda engines. WAY
more reliable in heavy use. Never had to tear one apart in 10 years.
Briggs? not the same fate.

I guess if you want to work on them the briggs are great, but I'll take
a Honda if I never want to see the insides....

Kirb

Old 11-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Mel M Kelly

Now lets compare price. Both are great but not in the same price
bracket. In most cases for residential use the Briggs will outlast the
equipment it is mounted on. But for lasting power and starting ease the
Honda is worth the extra buck.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 12-11-2005, 02:08 AM

Mel M Kelly wrote:
Now lets compare price. Both are great but not in the same price
bracket. In most cases for residential use the Briggs will outlast the
equipment it is mounted on. But for lasting power and starting ease the
Honda is worth the extra buck.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

When you have 4 guys in the field costing your $150 per hour, saving
$200 on a generator gets burnt up fast if it won't run. I started
buying honda engines for my home equip and never had one regret. I
don't have to mess with them- change oil, maybe a spark plug. That's
it. Starts everytime.

Kirb

old briggs twin cylinder flathead, this a 16 or 18hp? (pix) dave Lawns 1 21-10-2005 04:26 AM
Congrats rec.ponds. Amazing newsgroup. Hats off. Theo van Daele Ponds 31 07-05-2003 10:44 AM
amazing recovery Ted Byers Orchids 2 21-03-2003 12:56 PM
Amazing shop Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 23-01-2003 02:25 AM
Caterpillars are amazing! Chris United Kingdom 7 08-12-2002 09:27 PM