Old 16-11-2005, 10:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chris Moore

Default Overseeding Bermuda -- Is it possible?

I just purchased a new home in Upstate South Carolina. We're right on
the edge of the cool/warm season grasses. The builder used Bermuda
(could be centipede, maybe) sod on the front yard and the back is turf
type fescue. Can I overseed the sod with the Fescue? If you want to
know why, I'm just not a fan of the dormant warm season grass in the
winter.

Thanks for any tips or advice!
--
Chris

Old 20-11-2005, 03:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

"Chris Moore" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just purchased a new home in Upstate South Carolina. We're right on
the edge of the cool/warm season grasses. The builder used Bermuda
(could be centipede, maybe) sod on the front yard and the back is turf
type fescue. Can I overseed the sod with the Fescue? If you want to
know why, I'm just not a fan of the dormant warm season grass in the
winter.

Thanks for any tips or advice!
--
Chris

You can, but then you'll have a lawn that is neither fish or fowl. The
bermuda will dominate, but the fescue will be ever-present, and you won't
get the nice uniform look that comes from having a nice lawn of one species.

An option would be to overseed with Winter Rye. It'll stay green in the
winter, but will die once warm weather hits in late spring. If you go with
this option, you'll need to overseed the winter rye every year. I did this
for a couple of years when I had Bermuda, but eventually decided it wasn't
worth the trouble.

KB

Old 21-11-2005, 02:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
nangel78

This is useful to know. How often do you have to mow with the Winter? Is
it any different from Bermuda?

--
nangel78
nangel78's Profile: http://www.HomeOutfit.com/member.php?userid=187

Overseeding with Bermuda? skubler Gardening 5 17-03-2009 11:11 AM
Bermuda Overseeding googlen Lawns 0 20-04-2005 06:15 PM
Does overseeding work? [email protected] Lawns 15 01-06-2003 03:08 PM
Overseeding and Weed and Feed Keith Corwell Gardening 6 10-04-2003 03:32 PM
Overseeding procedure Dave Lawns 1 14-03-2003 02:44 AM