Old 27-11-2005, 09:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

Default Slow turning over

My old (1960-70) Sears Suburban, 12hp has been very slow to turn over ever
since I first got it about 5 years ago. It usually starts but you'd think
it hardly turned over once or twice very slowly. I replaced the regular 12V
tractor battery with a car battery but it still turns over slow. It has the
old belt drive starter and I also swapped it with another machine - still
slow cranking. Any ideas as to how to get this sucker to spin over better ?

Old 27-11-2005, 09:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Oscar_Lives

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
My old (1960-70) Sears Suburban, 12hp has been very slow to turn over ever
since I first got it about 5 years ago. It usually starts but you'd think
it hardly turned over once or twice very slowly. I replaced the regular
12V tractor battery with a car battery but it still turns over slow. It
has the old belt drive starter and I also swapped it with another
machine - still slow cranking. Any ideas as to how to get this sucker to
spin over better ?

Use heavier battery cables. Make sure you have a good ground connection.

Old 28-11-2005, 03:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mel M Kelly

If that is the one that the starter is also the generator there is not
much you can do. If you mess with it to much you will burn the starter
part out. If it is starting I would leave it alone. You could take it to
a automotive electrical shop and have the armiture turned and new
brushes.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 28-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Hole in the woods,Florida. USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgnt Billko
My old (1960-70) Sears Suburban, 12hp has been very slow to turn over ever
since I first got it about 5 years ago. It usually starts but you'd think
it hardly turned over once or twice very slowly. I replaced the regular 12V
tractor battery with a car battery but it still turns over slow. It has the
old belt drive starter and I also swapped it with another machine - still
slow cranking. Any ideas as to how to get this sucker to spin over better ?
Yep, The compression release is worn out on the camshaft, To fix it replace the cam. I've owned 5 of these Suburbans and sold all but one hydro drive machine to pull trailers, cars and boats around with. One of these days I will pull the moter off and rebuild it and put the new cam in, But for now it does start so I let it ride.

Good Luck
__________________
15 yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
Kohler Factory Trained
Tecumsea
Honda
Kawasaki
Robin
Onan
Dixie Chopper
Cub Cadet
White Outdoor
Troybuilt
Old 28-11-2005, 09:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"restrorob" wrote in message

Srgnt Billko Wrote:
[...]

Bingo ! That makes sense. I've seen something about "compression release"
somewhere on the engine but didn't know how it works. The only experience I
had with cr was on a snowmobile 2 cycle engine 30 years ago and that had a
lever you pushed. I saw no such gizmo on the Sears so I assumed it was some
kinda magic inside. I have a few of them too - so maybe I'll look into
getting an estimate. I do like those old suckers, and like you, I do use it
as a tractor - pulling a disc harrow, moldboard plow, wagons of firewood,
etc.