Old 11-12-2005, 04:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike

Default brown/black "puffs" growing in lawn

Hello,

I have these things in my yard that look like brown buff balls (almost like
large mushrooms). Last year when I had these I accidentally popped one and
they let out a lot of black/brown dust. I can take pictures if necessary,
but I figured someone might know exactly what these are. Any idea? They're
isolated in one area -- same as last year.

Thanks!
Mike

Old 12-12-2005, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Oscar_Lives

"Mike" wrote in message
Hello,

I have these things in my yard that look like brown buff balls (almost
like large mushrooms). Last year when I had these I accidentally popped
one and they let out a lot of black/brown dust. I can take pictures if
necessary, but I figured someone might know exactly what these are. Any
idea? They're isolated in one area -- same as last year.

Thanks!
Mike

Those are little dioxin balls. Don't pop 'em unless you have a hazmat suit
on.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike

I can't find much information on "dioxin balls," but obviously dioxin should
be a concern.

You said they were little, but in actuality there's not small. Probably 4-5"
in diameter at the top. How do these things grow? Is there something wrong
with my lawn? I'd be interested in knowing more if you can point me in the
right direction.

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-12-2005, 08:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike

I uploaded pictures that I just took a few minutes ago. Are these definitely
dioxin balls? I appreciate the help.

http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?i...00062725hh.jpg
http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?i...00062827ez.jpg
http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?i...00062920ft.jpg

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dave Balderstone

In article , Mike
wrote:

I uploaded pictures that I just took a few minutes ago. Are these definitely
dioxin balls? I appreciate the help.

Ocsar_Lives is yanking your chain. There ain't no such thing.

That said, I'm guessing a fungus/puff ball of some kind, but I've never
seen one like it before.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike

Thanks, Dave...

Oscar_Lives: jackass

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...

Old 13-12-2005, 12:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dave Balderstone

In article , Mike
wrote:

Thanks, Dave...

Do you have a university or college nearby? There may be someone there
who can ID it for you.

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
Old 13-12-2005, 01:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike

Yes, actually I do. That's a good idea.. bet they'd enjoy doing an
experiment on it. I'll inquire.

Thanks again!

Old 13-12-2005, 03:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Crazyaboutgreys

Mike

When I was a kid we called them puffballs.

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mus.../Puffball.html

Down the page there are examples of different types of puffballs

Ken

Old 14-12-2005, 02:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dave Balderstone

In article ,
Crazyaboutgreys wrote:

When I was a kid we called them puffballs.

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mus.../Puffball.html

Down the page there are examples of different types of puffballs

Neat site!

--
"Let's just admit that public education is mediocre at best." -- Frank Zappa

Old 20-12-2005, 07:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
wkearney99

I uploaded pictures that I just took a few minutes ago.

It's a fungus. Get some fungicide from your local garden center. Print a
picture and take the remains of one of them (in a clear plastic bag) and let
them suggest what to use. I'd venture any regular fungicide would take care
of them.