Old 14-12-2005, 09:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

Default Stalling Snowblower - Update

Well, Since I am not an engine mechanic and all the 'easy' stuff didn't
work, I loaded the snowblower into my van and took it to the "hospital".
They think that the carborator will need to be rebuilt and it should cost
less than $100, and take a week.

Thanks for all your ideas both the sensible and the funny.

Old 15-12-2005, 09:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mel M Kelly

All they will do is remove the bowl and clean the jets

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 15-12-2005, 10:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
All they will do is remove the bowl and clean the jets

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

If they have him convinced it has to be "rebuilt" (I laugh at that term)
they will charge him for the kit - maybe replace the needle valve, gasket
and an O ring.

Old 15-12-2005, 11:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

Yep, that's all they did. Drained the gas and put new in.

All for less than 50 bucks.

And it took less than a day too!!

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
All they will do is remove the bowl and clean the jets

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 15-12-2005, 11:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

Well, it didn't have to be rebuilt. They did in less than a day what I don't
know how to do. I am usually a DIY, but not with gas engines.

And what would have happened if I broke it more?

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
All they will do is remove the bowl and clean the jets

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 15-12-2005, 11:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

Wait a moment. That came out wrong. The did remove the bowl and cleaned the
jets and drained the gas and put in new. Whew!

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
All they will do is remove the bowl and clean the jets

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 16-12-2005, 01:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Frank Rosenbaum" wrote in message
Well, it didn't have to be rebuilt. They did in less than a day what I
don't know how to do. I am usually a DIY, but not with gas engines.

And what would have happened if I broke it more?

Absolutely - you did the right thing. A carburetor is not something to
experiment with without some "training". Very easy to do damage or lose a
small part - or tighten something too hard. But a small engine carb is very
simple for someone with a little experience. There are only a few parts
that can be cleaned or replaced and only a few passages where gas flows that
need to be cleaned / blown out. And only one moving mechanism - the float
and it's needle valve. Getting the carb off the machine is half the job -
once off it's only about an hour to take it apart, clean it, and get it back
together. (unless it's 20 years old and needs to be soaked in carb cleaner
overnight). It sounds like in this case they didn't even have to take it
off the machine.

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
All they will do is remove the bowl and clean the jets

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 16-12-2005, 01:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[...]

Plus the butterfly valve, choke or primer bulb.

Old 16-12-2005, 02:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

I agree, but I didn't want to chance it.

Thanks again for your insight.

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
All they will do is remove the bowl and clean the jets

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 16-12-2005, 02:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Frank Rosenbaum" wrote in message
I agree, but I didn't want to chance it.

That in itself, is important.
I worked in an Aircraft Instrument Repair Shop and setting aside the "can
do" attitude to really understand one's own limits took me a while to figure
out.

Old 16-12-2005, 03:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

Thanks for the compliment. It's not like I am not mechanically inclined or
anything. I have taken model steam engines apart and repaired and rebuilt
them.
I was just hesitant about something that could do me great harm if I screwed
up.