Old 30-03-2003, 10:44 PM
John

Default 2 cycle oil in 4 stroke tank?

I have a John Deere Sabre lawn tractor with a 17.5 Kohler, and a 2.2 gallon
gas tank. I inadvertently put about two ounces of two cycle oil in the tank,
mistaking it for Sta-bil. Is it necessary for me to drain the tank (there's
probably 1/2 gallon of gas in it), or will that oil in there be okay?
Thanks,

John

Old 30-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Douglas Miller

In article , "John" wrote:
I have a John Deere Sabre lawn tractor with a 17.5 Kohler, and a 2.2 gallon
gas tank. I inadvertently put about two ounces of two cycle oil in the tank,
mistaking it for Sta-bil. Is it necessary for me to drain the tank (there's
probably 1/2 gallon of gas in it), or will that oil in there be okay?

About the worst it's going to do is foul your spark plug. I'd fill the gas
tank, though, before running it, in order to dilute the oil as much as
possible. After you've run through that tank of gas, change the spark plug.

--
Regards,

Old 30-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"John" wrote in message
I have a John Deere Sabre lawn tractor with a 17.5 Kohler, and a 2.2

gallon
gas tank. I inadvertently put about two ounces of two cycle oil in the

tank,
mistaking it for Sta-bil. Is it necessary for me to drain the tank

(there's
probably 1/2 gallon of gas in it), or will that oil in there be okay?
Thanks,

Not a serious problem. You may get a bit of smoke or a little plug fouling.
I'd fill the tank to dilute it as much as possible, then I'd add more when
the tank got down to 3/4 to dilute it even more. Do that a couple of times
and you will be all set. I often run out my snowblower gas in my mower.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Old 31-03-2003, 05:20 AM
cc0112453

It'll just be Smokey for a while. Can't hurt it. Might fowl the plug if it
were real oily but I doubt it. I do it all the time when I run out of
regular gas and I need some for the lawnmower. I will use some of the saw
gas. Now the other way around, using gas with no oil in a 2 cycle motor is
going to hurt something big-time.

Old 31-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Dave

I run two stroke fuel in my lawn mower all the time, and I haven't
fouled the plug yet. I only change my plug every 2-3 years.
It isn't that I'm stupid,,, I have more two stroke engines around than
4 stroke, so there is more mixed fuel laying around. (I'm lazy)