Old 31-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Ron Blocher

Default Red tip Phontias (Frazeri)

Have heard that the Red tip Phontias are very susceptible to a number of
diseases. Also, have read that the Frazeri variety of this plant is less
susceptible to these diseases.

We plan on planting approximately 180-200 feet of hedges in our backyard,
and really like the looks of the Phontias. Would appreciate any information
regarding pros and cons of this plant.

Thank you,
Ron Blocher

Old 31-03-2003, 10:45 PM
Dave W

Red Tips are (IMO) the worst possible landscape plants available. When
planted in rows, such as hedges, they have a habit of growing (or not) at
different rates. Some quickly grow huge and the one next to it may not grow
at all. Every time I have moved to a different house there has always been
Red Tips which I have jerked out of the ground with a chain and hauled to
the dump. Something like Ligustrum would make a much better hedge.
Dave

Old 02-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Philip Halverson

"Dave W" wrote in message ...
[...]

I agree! They do poorly in any sort of alkaline soil, needing
frequent/constant fertization. I tore out several from my yard -- if
a bird farted they dumped leaves. One specimen plant might be easy to
maintain, but 200 feet. There are probably better choices.

Good luck,

Phil
Old 03-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Timothy

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:22:22 +0000, Ron Blocher wrote:

Have heard that the Red tip Phontias are very susceptible to a number of
diseases. Also, have read that the Frazeri variety of this plant is less
susceptible to these diseases.

We plan on planting approximately 180-200 feet of hedges in our backyard,
and really like the looks of the Phontias. Would appreciate any
information regarding pros and cons of this plant.

Photina is a terrible plant for hedges. It's the lawn maintenance
company's friend though. They will grow quickly to your desired hight but
then you'll have to hedge them up to 6 times a year to keep them there.

I'd suggest that you go to a few different nurseries and ask then what
they have for hedging shrubs.
--
Http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Red Tip Photinia W[_2_] Gardening 7 08-04-2012 12:57 AM
Pieris red tip leaves gone yellow john martin United Kingdom 15 28-04-2009 10:59 AM
red, red, red rose [email protected] Gardening 4 26-04-2005 03:16 PM
Palm tip death question cds Plant Biology 0 17-04-2003 12:44 AM
Substitutes for Red Tip Photinia Shepherd Gardening 4 02-04-2003 07:44 AM