Old 03-04-2003, 01:32 AM
bentcajungirl

Default homemade mulch

I am planing cypress wood that I am using in my new house. (100 yo wood
salvaged from old house) I'd like to use the planer shavings as mulch. I
understand the fresh shavings extract or negate the level of nitrogen in
the soil. I may be mistaken about the correct chemical or compound, but I
do know from first hand experience that I soundly killed a perfectly good
flower bed a few years back using fresh shavings. I was told to augment
with some nitrogen bearing agent or use fish meal, etc.
Am I on the right track...what is the ratio of nitrogen to how much mulch?
Thanks.
Perry
bentcajungirl

Old 03-04-2003, 03:08 AM

"bentcajungirl" wrote:
I am planing cypress wood that I am using in my new house. (100 yo wood
salvaged from old house) I'd like to use the planer shavings as mulch.
I understand the fresh shavings extract or negate the level of nitrogen
in the soil. I may be mistaken about the correct chemical or compound,
but I do know from first hand experience that I soundly killed a
perfectly good flower bed a few years back using fresh shavings. I was
told to augment with some nitrogen bearing agent or use fish meal, etc.
Am I on the right track...what is the ratio of nitrogen to how much
mulch? Thanks.
Perry
bentcajungirl

You might want to let it sit one season.
I've seen garden center mulch fry entire landscapes.

The nitrogen releases too fast. Ground pallet mulch is known
for that.

Your milage may vary..maybe try it on a small area first?

--
Go#40 42 12 God Bless Our Troops
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 04-04-2003, 12:20 PM
John Caldwell

Yes, during the conversion from fresh organic to compost, your cypress
shavings will search for nirtogen, but it will later release it after the
decompostion is complete. - But - As a woodworker, I don't no of any wood as
resistant to decomposition as cypress. That makes it good for mulch. It will
just stay at the surface and stare back at you for 5 or 10 years. I have
seen rain gutters made of cypress - the Floridia tree that loves to stand in
swamps. If it is true cypress, I would put an ad in the paper and sell it.
Then get ordinary wood chips from any tree care company. They are likely to
give it away free.

.. .

Old 04-04-2003, 02:32 PM
bentcajungirl

I give a lot of it away to horse people. They use it for stall bedding.
But now that I'm starting to landscape, I was wondering how/when I could use
it. Yes, it is truly cypress. Primo stuff. I am in the heart of extreme
South Louisiana. This stuff came from a 100 yo structure and we're fairly
certain that the structure was built from wood from even an earlier
structure. If only the wood could talk.
Being a woodworker, you would like what we are doing with our cypress.
Perry
bentcajungirl