Old 11-03-2006, 11:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Marvel

Default what should I put on my yard in Charlotte North Carolina

I am wondering what I should be doing or applying right about now like weed
and feed, turf builder, lime etc...

Old 12-03-2006, 08:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Marvel wrote:
I am wondering what I should be doing or applying right about now like weed
and feed, turf builder, lime etc...

I'd get the soil tested, then you'll know if you need lime or not. If
you do, then you can apply the correct amount now. I would put down a
combo pre-emergent and fertilizer. Here in NJ, I generally do that the
latter part of April. You don't want to do it too early, as crabgrass
needs warm temps to germinate and you don't want the stuff to be
wearing off prematurely. I always put it down just as the forsythias
start to bloom, which is a good guide. In your area, I would think
that is probably in a few weeks?

I stay away from weed n feed, unless the lawn is a real mess, full of
broadlead weeds. A healthy lawn should just need occasional spot
treatment with a small tank sprayer. Weed n feed used to control a few
weeds is unnecessary, bad for the environment, and not good for the
grass either.

Old 13-03-2006, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Rolling Thunder

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:30:30 GMT, "Marvel" wrote:

I am wondering what I should be doing or applying right about now like weed
and feed, turf builder, lime etc...

Listen to WBT's Carolina Gardener Saturday mornings, 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Go to their web site and you'll find links to NCState lawncare; as
well as podcasts of prior radio casts.

Mint Hill, NC