Old 27-03-2006, 04:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumer.house
Javier

Default Toro vs. John Deere mower

I'm looking at two models of riding mowers, the Toro LX420 and the JD 125.

Both have the same deck size (42") and similar engine power (18HP, the
Toro has a Kohler engine, the JD a Briggs & Stratton). Both have an
automatic transmission, manual PTO, etc. Pretty comparable machines,
except the JD is $1799 and the Toro is $1299.

The question... is th JD $500 better than the Toro? I sat on both at the
dealer, they feel equally comfortable. Looking at construction, I can't
really see many differences in material quality (though maybe I don't
know where to look... I was looking at things like thickness of the
steel deck for example).

Thanks.

-jav
Old 27-03-2006, 05:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumer.house
cAtnEr

"Javier" wrote in message
I'm looking at two models of riding mowers, the Toro LX420 and the JD 125.

Both have the same deck size (42") and similar engine power (18HP, the
Toro has a Kohler engine, the JD a Briggs & Stratton). Both have an
automatic transmission, manual PTO, etc. Pretty comparable machines,
except the JD is $1799 and the Toro is $1299.

The question... is th JD $500 better than the Toro? I sat on both at the
dealer, they feel equally comfortable. Looking at construction, I can't
really see many differences in material quality (though maybe I don't
know where to look... I was looking at things like thickness of the
steel deck for example).

Thanks.

-jav

The question... is th JD $500 better than the Toro?

Yes, easily. I have the JD SRX an really love it.

Old 27-03-2006, 05:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumer.house
Stubby

You might check into the availability of repair parts over time. Sears
used to advertise customers would be able to get parts forever. Well,
that has changed. Now you can only obtain them for 1 year after purchase.

Old 27-03-2006, 05:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumer.house
cAtnEr

"Stubby" wrote in message
You might check into the availability of repair parts over time. Sears
used to advertise customers would be able to get parts forever. Well,
that has changed. Now you can only obtain them for 1 year after purchase.

Now you can only obtain them for 1 year after purchase.

Woa! Where did you see that?

Old 27-03-2006, 11:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mel M Kelly

It seems like Green paint is expensive. Forget it and get a Dixie
chopper

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 27-03-2006, 11:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mel M Kelly

Wait till you get the price for parts for the JD. I went to get a new
belt and I thought they was pricing a new mower.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 29-03-2006, 12:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumer.house
Srgnt Billko

"Javier" wrote in message
I'm looking at two models of riding mowers, the Toro LX420 and the JD 125.

Both have the same deck size (42") and similar engine power (18HP, the
Toro has a Kohler engine, the JD a Briggs & Stratton). Both have an
automatic transmission, manual PTO, etc. Pretty comparable machines,
except the JD is $1799 and the Toro is $1299.

The question... is th JD $500 better than the Toro? I sat on both at the
dealer, they feel equally comfortable. Looking at construction, I can't
really see many differences in material quality (though maybe I don't know
where to look... I was looking at things like thickness of the steel deck
for example).
Thanks.
-jav

First beware that neither of these machines are the type of models that gave
JD & Toro / Wheelhorse their good reputations. These are cost reduced
models. From their websites I see the JD has a *twin* cyl motor - that
would account for some of the dollar difference - and actually one place
listed it as 20hp rather than 18. This is a little overkill for a machine
that is pretty much limited to mowing (no ground engaging attachments.)
The Toro lists a pressure lube feature that is better on hilly terrain. I
see big discounts on leftover 2005 JD's. I would lean toward the Toro
because their site was easier / quicker to navigate - but neither site
listed the weight of the machines and buying buy the pound is not the worst
way to decide.

Old 29-03-2006, 01:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Artemis

Javier wrote:
I'm looking at two models of riding mowers, the Toro LX420 and the JD 125.

Both have the same deck size (42") and similar engine power (18HP, the
Toro has a Kohler engine, the JD a Briggs & Stratton). Both have an
automatic transmission, manual PTO, etc. Pretty comparable machines,
except the JD is $1799 and the Toro is $1299.

The question... is th JD $500 better than the Toro? I sat on both at the
dealer, they feel equally comfortable. Looking at construction, I can't
really see many differences in material quality (though maybe I don't
know where to look... I was looking at things like thickness of the
steel deck for example).

Thanks.

-jav

I would choose the Toro. If they are wise enough to use a Kohler engine
over a Briggs then it's likely that other parts are higher quality also.

--
Art
Old 29-03-2006, 04:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mel M Kelly

I have 2 Ariens ZTRs. One with a Briggs and the other with a Kohler. The
Briggs out preforms the Kohler in every condition. Starting, fuel
consumption and power.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 29-03-2006, 05:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
I have 2 Ariens ZTRs. One with a Briggs and the other with a Kohler. The
Briggs out preforms the Kohler in every condition. Starting, fuel
consumption and power.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

It seems like Green paint is expensive. Forget it and get a Dixie
chopper

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

How come you settled for an Ariens when you could have gotten a Dixie
Chopper ?

Old 30-03-2006, 06:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Oscar_Lives

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
I have 2 Ariens ZTRs. One with a Briggs and the other with a Kohler. The
Briggs out preforms the Kohler in every condition. Starting, fuel
consumption and power.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

It seems like Green paint is expensive. Forget it and get a Dixie
chopper

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

How come you settled for an Ariens when you could have gotten a Dixie
Chopper ?

Or a Gravely or Grasshopper?

Old 30-03-2006, 01:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumer.house
KCnRichmond

I work at HD.. Been there in Garden for 5 yrs. I buy what I DONT see coming
back. I am the one who they call at returns when someone brings something
back. The JD is obviously made by JD and is warranted through JD
exclusively. The Toro, Yard Machine, MTD and Cub Cadet are made by MTD, so
take it anywhere to get repaired. JD is the only "Lawn Tractor" with one
piece frame from front to back, where as everything else is several pieces
bolted together. With that feature alone, the deck and tractor stays level
longer because you don't get the "sag" after a while where you cant keep the
deck level. If you sat on both, Where were your control pedals and what do
you have to do to operate the machines? The brake pedal is in the way over
the motion pedal and you have to shift a lever for fwd/rev and you have to
turn the key back and push a button to cut in reverse on the Toro. JD, not
so much aggravation. The JD is Post delivered by a JD mechanic where as
everything else is assembled by an assembly contractor at HD and Lowes. The
Briggs engine is made to specs by Briggs, for JD and is pressure lubed as
well.
I bought a L-118 last year and I love it. 22 hp Briggs, 42" deck, high back
seat and over-width rear tires to lessen compaction. As for ground engaging
tools: You can "pull" anything you want that HD/Lowes stocks. Even a special
order 46" pusher blade or a power 42" snow thrower on JD, Toro, and Cub
Cadet. Ground engaging means pull behind plows, tillers.
As for the decks, ease of removal, hidden baffles clogging up, belt/blade
replacement, and finish add up to a good look. The JD is better. Ability to
rebuild the front end, battery maintenance, grease points, and who will come
to your house to repair are things to consider.
Anyway , good hunting, but at my store we promote the "Drive-before-you-buy"
aspect. Ask to drive first. That is one thing I do see at returns.."I didn't
know it wouldn't do whatever so I don't want it". Well now you're screwed
because before you get a refund we have to send it out for repair to see if
you damaged it, and well, you know the cuss-fest that comes with that...
But above all else, cutting grass should be fun!

Old 30-03-2006, 07:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumer.house
Srgnt Billko

"KCnRichmond" wrote in message
I work at HD.. Been there in Garden for 5 yrs. I buy what I DONT see coming
back. I am the one who they call at returns when someone brings something
back. The JD is obviously made by JD and is warranted through JD
exclusively.

Well said - but I heard the same thing from our local HD a couple years ago
about a Scotts machine.

The Toro, Yard Machine, MTD and Cub Cadet are made by MTD, so
take it anywhere to get repaired. JD is the only "Lawn Tractor"

See "ground engaging" commenys below

. The
Briggs engine is made to specs by Briggs, for JD and is pressure lubed as
well.

The JD site does not list "pressure lubed" in their specs. But they do
imply there are different engines in the HD version and the dealer version.

. As for ground engaging
tools: You can "pull" anything you want that HD/Lowes stocks. Even a
special
order 46" pusher blade or a power 42" snow thrower on JD, Toro, and Cub
Cadet. Ground engaging means pull behind plows, tillers.

Exactly - and I specified "ground engaging" - ie **pull behind** plows,
tillers.
Picky - but you don't *pull* a pusher blade or snowthrower. And since this
is just an over-powered *lawn* tractor (rather than a garden tractor), the
blades and snowthrowers don't attach the same way they do to a *garden*
tractor.. Aside from that, the original poster indicated he was just
looking to mow his lawn.

As for the decks, ease of removal, hidden baffles clogging up, belt/blade
replacement, and finish add up to a good look. The JD is better.

Can't say about the new ones, but I have an older JD an a few older WH's and
the removal, replacement aspects are about equal.

snipped liberally
But above all else, cutting grass should be fun!