Old 27-03-2006, 09:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rw

Default Lawn Weed Indentification and Control

We live in Massachusetts and put down a corn gluten pre-emergent weed
control product back on March 19th.

Although the lawn is still dormant, we've noticed some type of weed has
emerged (March 27). Can anyone identify what type of weed it is (URL
to picture is below) and the best way to get rid of it / prevent them
going forward (organic if possible).

http://www.addieryan.com/2006/2006March_LawnWeed.JPG

Thanks, rw

Old 30-03-2006, 12:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
KCnRichmond

Ortho has a cool bug and weed finder with ways to control/kill. You can get
there through Scotts.com

ups.com...

Old 30-03-2006, 01:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rw

Haven't tried it just yet, but here is the link:

http://problemsolving.scotts.com/ind...eedfinder.home

-Rw

Old 31-03-2006, 01:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kote

Try this website as well. If you are still not able to identify the
weed, a call to your local extension office might help.

Good Luck
-Kote
http://www.rcre.rutgers.edu/weeds/thumbnail.asp

Old 02-04-2006, 08:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eric

rw wrote:

We live in Massachusetts and put down a corn gluten pre-emergent weed
control product back on March 19th.

Although the lawn is still dormant, we've noticed some type of weed has
emerged (March 27). Can anyone identify what type of weed it is (URL
to picture is below) and the best way to get rid of it / prevent them
going forward (organic if possible).

http://www.addieryan.com/2006/2006March_LawnWeed.JPG

Thanks, rw

looks an awful lot like a wild Easter Cactus but given your location I'd say
thats near impossible.
Eric

Old 02-04-2006, 12:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Kiewicz

rw said:

We live in Massachusetts and put down a corn gluten pre-emergent weed
control product back on March 19th.

Although the lawn is still dormant, we've noticed some type of weed has
emerged (March 27). Can anyone identify what type of weed it is (URL
to picture is below) and the best way to get rid of it / prevent them
going forward (organic if possible).

http://www.addieryan.com/2006/2006March_LawnWeed.JPG

Looks a bit like speedwell (Veronica) to me. Perennial weed.
If you had it in the lawn last year, it will come back from the roots.
Pre-emergents only control weeds sprouting from seeds (annuals
or newly sprouting perennials).

--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-04-2006, 04:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Doug G

rw wrote:
We live in Massachusetts and put down a corn gluten pre-emergent weed
control product back on March 19th.

Although the lawn is still dormant, we've noticed some type of weed has
emerged (March 27). Can anyone identify what type of weed it is (URL
to picture is below) and the best way to get rid of it / prevent them
going forward (organic if possible).

http://www.addieryan.com/2006/2006March_LawnWeed.JPG

Thanks, rw

It may be henbit.
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/lamam.htm
Old 04-04-2006, 02:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

Doug G wrote:
rw wrote:
We live in Massachusetts and put down a corn gluten pre-emergent weed
control product back on March 19th.

Although the lawn is still dormant, we've noticed some type of weed has
emerged (March 27). Can anyone identify what type of weed it is (URL
to picture is below) and the best way to get rid of it / prevent them
going forward (organic if possible).

http://www.addieryan.com/2006/2006March_LawnWeed.JPG

Thanks, rw

It may be henbit.
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/lamam.htm

Especially if it has flowers on it now.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rw

It doesn't. It is still actually very low to the ground, no flowers,
and it spreading at a pretty good clip.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"rw" wrote:
It doesn't. It is still actually very low to the ground, no flowers,
and it spreading at a pretty good clip.

24D will kill it.