Old 31-03-2006, 12:21 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

Default Ground engaging Toro vs JD

Follow up from the previous Toro vs JD post:

Neither of those machines ( LX420 and the 125) are suitable for ground
engaging (tiller, garden plow, disc harrow etc) implements. They are best
suited to be used as lawn mowers. If you want to use the machine as a
tractor you would be much better off with a Cub Cadet (MTD) 2500 series
which has the cast iron transaxle as opposed to the pot metal trannys used
on the HD & Lowes Toro & John Deere. Even to use a dozer blade the pot metal
won't stand up. BTW, the Toro dozer blade I have is a lot heavier than the
universal blades I've seen at HD & Lowes. The 2500's also have a high
backed seat w arm rests that becomes more and more important as we get older
or if you are going to spend long periods of time on the machine.

Old 31-03-2006, 10:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Garden Viking

Cub 2500 series straight shaft not belt drive? It needs a cast iron trans
because there is no slippage with shaft drive..
HD does not typically "stock" pusher blades as they are special order from
the vendor of the tractors and needs a last name (ie. customer name) to get
it to the store and be paid for.
The arm rests are already falling off in the showroom.
Scotts is made by JD, but does not have the JD deck. Its an MTD deck. Green
and yellow are all JD..
Their website does list the pressurized oil system and filter in their specs
The original poster may be like most "Lawn Tractor" buyers and knows nothing
on the matter and some of them only have about 10,000 sqft of lawn but "just
want a tractor", they just have to have one. It doesn't matter if they are
done in 15 minutes, they have a tractor..
As stated before, most box stores have no one that knows any part of the
products they sell. Don't rely solely on them for info unless you find
someone at either who can accurately sell you one from anywhere.

Old 31-03-2006, 02:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Javier

Garden Viking wrote:
[...]

I did a fair amount of reading on all the options available, I ended up
with a short list of two or three machines based on said reading. I
ended up buying the JD 125 yesterday, it's supposed to be delivered today.

My lawn is a lot bigger than 10,000 square feet... pushing a mower, even
a self propelled, would be a nuisance. There are a couple of areas where
a push mower is needed, between the house and the detached garage,
because the riding mower won't fit there. The rest is big, flat and with
very few obstacles.

-jav
Old 31-03-2006, 06:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Javier" wrote in message
Garden Viking wrote:
[...]

Congratulations - have fun !!

Old 01-04-2006, 05:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Javier

Congratulations - have fun !!

So, I drove it this afternoon after I got home. It runs, it mows, and it
mulches. I guess I can't complain too much.

The ride sure is -stiff- though.

-jav

Old 02-04-2006, 12:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Javier" wrote in message
Congratulations - have fun !!

So, I drove it this afternoon after I got home. It runs, it mows, and it
mulches. I guess I can't complain too much.

The ride sure is -stiff- though.

-jav

Your behind is too sensitive. Check the air pressure in the tires and make
sure they were not over-inflated. Might as well check the oil too while
you're at it. (just to make sure)

Old 03-04-2006, 03:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Javier

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Javier" wrote in message
Congratulations - have fun !!

So, I drove it this afternoon after I got home. It runs, it mows, and it
mulches. I guess I can't complain too much.

The ride sure is -stiff- though.

Your behind is too sensitive. Check the air pressure in the tires and make
sure they were not over-inflated. Might as well check the oil too while
you're at it. (just to make sure)

How does the oil affect the quality of the ride?

The tire pressure matches what's printed on the tire sidewalls, so I
guess it's OK.

-jav

Lawn Mower Tractor dilemma ; TORO 16-38HXL or Yard-Man AN 5150K David Lawns 1 24-02-2005 05:51 PM
32" Toro Mower for Sale Barry Lawns 0 19-08-2004 05:23 PM
how to get above ground pump to work on a below ground pond. matt clark Ponds 8 06-08-2003 02:12 AM
Toro Timecutter Z? j roberts Lawns 1 09-05-2003 02:08 PM
Lawn sprayers for Toro Robt Lawns 4 01-05-2003 07:44 PM